Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: working dogs  (Read 6188 times)

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
Re: working dogs
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2016, 11:49:47 pm »
Do you mean the Lassie type collie?  http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/services/public/breed/display.aspx?id=5119
no,  apparently this is a breed in its own right. I compared the pics and theyre 2 different dogs. Not sure if there are any UK breeders though. Can you get working shelties any more or has the instinct been bred out?
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2016, 12:27:58 am »
Shelties - Shetland Sheepdogs - abound in Shetland, as one might expect.  Whether any of them still work, I don't know.  I expect so.

The Rough Collie looks a bit like a large version of the Sheltie, but is a distinct breed.  They're quite large, much bigger than Welsh Collies or Border Collies.

There's a Smooth Collie, too, which is the same as the Rough but short-haired.

I've no idea if anyone is still working either Rough or Smooth Collies.

I'm not sure whether this is the breed you were asking about, or not.  The Wiki article you linked to seemed to be about an original working collie, which has evolved into the Border Collie as well as the Rough Collie and Shetland Sheepdog.

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2016, 11:52:17 am »
A couple of weeks ago I stumbled across 'BC Museum:the Welsh Sheepdog'... sorry can't do links.

Quite interesting to read about the variety of 'regonal' type collies that were believed to have existed once upon a time and the reasons for their diversity to suit terrain etc.

Thought those of you with interest in dogs might enjoy a read.

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2016, 09:24:44 pm »
I've ben researching smooth collies as my potential new dog. Noone's working them these days (not in the UK) although a very few of them do agility and search and rescue. Like other herding breeds, the MDR-1 gene is very prevalent (also in Shelties and Roughs) which can make them a bit of a liability around livestock. Not many breeders trying to breed it out int he UK either as they are now mainly show dogs. Lovely, lovely dogs and if I can find a clear one I'll be tempted.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 10:56:20 pm by lord flynn »

Luke_H

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2016, 11:56:46 am »
Having a rough and a smooth I thought I'd just add in, a huge number of breeders in both do test for MDR and some breeders do have totally clear lines or carrier only, as with CEA. But with both breeds the gene pools aren't huge, particularly the smooths due to being so rare but roughs became so heavily overbred that they are a genetic bottleneck--or where before certain breeders imported stock resulting in 0 percent inbreeding COI and bringing in clear eye/MD genes. To not breed from affected dogs would impoverish the gene pool even further, both breeds (well variety, every other county they're bred together soon which probably helps the whole genetic diversity business too!) would result in even more of a bottleneck (I feel anyway) and i think many feel we can't afford to narrow the gene pool anymore.
They are both fanastic though, the modern fluffy type rough is a world away in temperament and personality to a classic type rough and to smooths. Smooths are a little more headstrong I find, and free thinking. Both can be quite independent and both are very very noisy but it's part of the charm, I don't just mean barking but they grown and chuff and make all sorts of Wookie type noises! Very expressive! Very chilled though, couldn't have anything else now.

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2016, 10:31:47 pm »
Yes, most breeders are testing (Smooths) but not many are seemingly doing much about it-there seems to be much breeding of the same dogs in the middle of the UK whereas there are more dogs that are clear available in Europe. Research shows there is a much higher prevalence of it in the UK than mainland Europe and breeding from dogs in mainland Europe is not that difficult. Carrier only, as I'm sure you are aware, doesn't mean they are not affected-just that they are less affected. I have found very few breeders with clear lines-please let me know of any you know of.

As I said, I would love one but save for one breeder, I've not found one yet that have really addressed my questions on the matter and most seem completely unbothered by it. But I am surrounded by sheep and cattle and while a small risk, its a risk that would have to be managed for 12 years. Thats quite apart from limiting treatment options for other diseases.

It's a shame they are not more popular, I feel if more people knew about them they surely would be!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS