Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Breeding for Meat or Eggs  (Read 216649 times)

Dave C

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Teesdale, Co Durham
Breeding for Meat or Eggs
« on: June 09, 2016, 09:46:49 pm »
Been a bit quiet on hear lately and I seem to remember last year there was a few meat bird projects floating about so thought folk could post on here there progress.

So who is trying to improve production of the meat or laying birds ?
Using pure breeds, hybrids or crosses.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 03:53:17 pm by Dave C »

Dave C

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Teesdale, Co Durham
Re: Breeding for Production Meat or Eggs
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2016, 09:59:35 pm »
I'm rearing Sasso slow growth table birds and Buff Plymouth Rocks at the moment, have Sasso medium growth Farm Rangers in the Incy, along with some Ixworth X Hubbards and Indian Game eggs.
I'm measuring the growth speed and weights then I'll compare various crosses between them to decide on the best combination.

Will put up some pics soon.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2016, 10:21:01 pm »
I gave up on the idea when the breeders never replied, so have gone for dual purpose instead, but mostly eggs. I am about to put speckled sussex hatching eggs under broody hen. What is their meat like, does anyone know?
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Dave C

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Teesdale, Co Durham
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2016, 11:05:01 pm »
If there anything like light Sussex the meat will be excellent, but will take about 24 weeks to fill out   

Dave C

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Teesdale, Co Durham
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2016, 10:38:19 am »
These are my Sasso slow grow Galouise meat birds, they are 6 week now and average between 1.03 - 1.07kg so are progressing well.
I am hoping for a 2kg dressed bird in 14 weeks.

Dave C

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Teesdale, Co Durham
Re: Breeding for Meat or Eggs
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2016, 10:53:14 am »
I'm looking to cross these Slow grow Cockerels with a Sasso Medium Farm Ranger hens like this from last year

Dave C

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Teesdale, Co Durham
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2016, 10:56:06 am »
And add some Indian Game into the mix from this guy that I hatched out last year

Hoping to achieve a 2.5kg bird in 12 weeks or a 5kg bird in about 18 weeks.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 10:58:21 am by Dave C »

Q

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2016, 11:11:10 am »
WD Dave - that is quite impressive progress.    :thumbsup:

Your caption photo is very apt too!
If you cant beat 'em then at least bugger 'em about a bit.

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2016, 09:39:15 pm »
They look good study birds!

I'm hatching a cross due on Monday: Jersey Giant x La Bresse. I expect they'll be slow growing but hope to get some big tasty birds in the end.  It's more curiosity than anything else.

Dave C

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Teesdale, Co Durham
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2016, 09:44:08 am »
WD Dave - that is quite impressive progress.    :thumbsup:

Your caption photo is very apt too!

Thanks Q, it's still very much work in progress but later this year & next year should be quite interesting, hopefully.

Dave C

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Teesdale, Co Durham
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2016, 09:57:33 am »
They look good study birds!

I'm hatching a cross due on Monday: Jersey Giant x La Bresse. I expect they'll be slow growing but hope to get some big tasty birds in the end.  It's more curiosity than anything else.

Yes will be interesting to see how they turn out, I've never had JG but bred La Bresse and found them a great DP bird, mine were about 1.8 - 2kg at about 26 weeks, I've heard that the JG are slow maturing but you will have the added value of hybrid vigor.

Great if you keep posting your progress  :thumbsup:

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2016, 10:21:26 pm »
I shall. I've heard Jersey giants are building bone for the first 6 months and only start fleshing out after that.  I think that's an exaggeration and it may be different with the cross (although La Besse aren't fast maturing either) but I'm happy to just see how it goes.

The only problem with the slow maturing breeds is that the cockerels start crowing and fighting before you can kill them! How do you deal with that?

Bramham Wiltshire Horns

• Joined Oct 2014
  • leeds
  • Bramham flock Wiltshire Horns
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2016, 09:44:09 am »
HI DAVE C

I AM CURRENTLY REARING UTILITY LIGHT SUSSEX, AND ALSO INDIAN GAME X LIGHT SUSSEX I HAVE AROUND 11 ITS FIRST TIME PROJECT

THEY ARE 6 WEEKS OLD JUST COME OFF CHICK CRUMB AND ARE NOW ON GROWERS, GRASS AND A GAME MIX THAT I HAVE PUT IN TO A 3:1 RATIO

I HAVENT WEIGHED THEM YET BUT WILL DO AND POST ON HERE THEY SEEM TO BE GROWING LIKE BULLDOGS

AIMING TO CULL AROUND 17-20 WEEKS

follow on FB@BramhamWiltshireHorns

Dave C

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Teesdale, Co Durham
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2016, 01:44:53 pm »
I shall. I've heard Jersey giants are building bone for the first 6 months and only start fleshing out after that.  I think that's an exaggeration and it may be different with the cross (although La Besse aren't fast maturing either) but I'm happy to just see how it goes.

The only problem with the slow maturing breeds is that the cockerels start crowing and fighting before you can kill them! How do you deal with that?

I don't have to much of a problem with it really, the crowing isn't an issue where I live and because mine free range from 6 weeks ( or at least a very large pen ) the have the odd spar but nothing serious, if there is any real trouble makers there off the Freezer Camp early  :yum:

How's the hatching going ?

Dave C

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Teesdale, Co Durham
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2016, 01:55:45 pm »
HI DAVE C

I AM CURRENTLY REARING UTILITY LIGHT SUSSEX, AND ALSO INDIAN GAME X LIGHT SUSSEX I HAVE AROUND 11 ITS FIRST TIME PROJECT

THEY ARE 6 WEEKS OLD JUST COME OFF CHICK CRUMB AND ARE NOW ON GROWERS, GRASS AND A GAME MIX THAT I HAVE PUT IN TO A 3:1 RATIO

I HAVENT WEIGHED THEM YET BUT WILL DO AND POST ON HERE THEY SEEM TO BE GROWING LIKE BULLDOGS

AIMING TO CULL AROUND 17-20 WEEKS

I love LS & IG but never had a cross between them what weights are you hoping for ? they should make a lovely table bird, do you own the parent stock or have you bought eggs in ?
Are you going to process all the birds or keep some back for breeding if so what's your plans ?

Also pics would be nice  :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS