Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Breeding for Meat or Eggs  (Read 225982 times)

Dave C

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Teesdale, Co Durham
Re: Breeding for Meat or Eggs
« Reply #915 on: August 01, 2017, 12:45:16 pm »
That's what we use on the shoot.
Can make very large pens in just an hour or so as they cable tie together very well.
We then run chicken wire round the bottom/onto the ground and a single strand of electric wire round.

Pity about the Sasso mate, what's that leave you with, meat wise?

docsal

• Joined Feb 2017
« Reply #916 on: August 01, 2017, 01:12:27 pm »
Dear all
I have posted before - raising my first meat birds (Cobbs - yes, I know.....  :-[).
I moved them outside at the weekend and they seem happy on the grass. How much should I feed them? I have them on organic Growers pellets - 16% protein. If I feed them ad lib, they just sit and eat. Am trying feeding them 3 times a day which certainly makes them more active - scratching and pecking around between meals. Instinctively, I feel this is healthier for them and encourages more activity. Happily the 2 who had splayed legs have recovered after a week of taping - not quite as agile as the others but happily weight-bearing and getting around OK.
How do you know how much to feed them??
Sally

docsal

• Joined Feb 2017
« Reply #917 on: August 01, 2017, 01:15:00 pm »
PS Have 2 10 day old indian game chicks under brooder and 12 IG/6 Barbezieux eggs in incubator to follow on!! Hopefully a better, happier experience....

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #918 on: August 01, 2017, 01:42:22 pm »
D'you think we could finish this subject and start afresh? :sunshine:

It's wandered a long way off the original topic.
I don't believe I'm the only person that isn't the least bit interested in whether you breed for meat or eggs but am interested in poultry and in many of the points that have been discussed under this heading. These varied subjects  I only spotted by accident because, as mentioned, the original topic bores me  :innocent: . So please  - can we start again  with relevant headings for the actual subject being discussed? :eyelashes:   
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • The Accidental Smallholder
    • Facebook
« Reply #919 on: August 01, 2017, 04:44:53 pm »
D'you think we could finish this subject and start afresh? :sunshine:

It's wandered a long way off the original topic.
I don't believe I'm the only person that isn't the least bit interested in whether you breed for meat or eggs but am interested in poultry and in many of the points that have been discussed under this heading. These varied subjects  I only spotted by accident because, as mentioned, the original topic bores me  :innocent: . So please  - can we start again  with relevant headings for the actual subject being discussed? :eyelashes:

This is a good idea - we try to be (very) light touch when it comes to moderation, but this topic has become a proxy for the entire P&W board on TAS lately. While some topic drift is inevitable on any forum, there's a point where it becomes unhelpful.

It really helps people searching for help, and those who have drifted off, when new topics are posted and focussed on a single subject.

So please continue discussions on here if they pertain to the original topic purpose, and start new topics if you're heading off on a tangent, have stock to sell, questions about fencing, etc etc.

Thanks!

Dave C

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Teesdale, Co Durham
« Reply #920 on: August 01, 2017, 06:09:01 pm »
Yeah no problem Lads, we do drift a bit but it's just general crack, which a few of us like or it wouldn't be 62 pages long   ;D

Would be a shame to loose this thread as there is good information in it.

Will keep to topic or start new discussions  :thumbsup:

Charlie1234

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Powys
« Reply #921 on: August 02, 2017, 12:32:05 pm »
That's what we use on the shoot.
Can make very large pens in just an hour or so as they cable tie together very well.
We then run chicken wire round the bottom/onto the ground and a single strand of electric wire round.

Pity about the Sasso mate, what's that leave you with, meat wise?

I only have my IG,RIR and a couple of speckledy hens now mate but I will sort some sasso`s next season.
Those chicks i hatched recently are doing well but they look just like IG.So will be interesting to see what they turn out like.
5 Dogs,5 cats,40 chickens,2badger faced sheep + a full freezer

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #922 on: August 02, 2017, 02:09:10 pm »
PS Have 2 10 day old indian game chicks under brooder and 12 IG/6 Barbezieux eggs in incubator to follow on!! Hopefully a better, happier experience....
Take care of the Barbezieux! Guy who imported them to America sells chicks for... $400 each (yes, FOUR HUNDRED DOLLARS)
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Dave C

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Teesdale, Co Durham
« Reply #923 on: August 02, 2017, 07:25:29 pm »
Wow, the Americans pay some crazy $$$ for there poultry.

Dave C

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Teesdale, Co Durham
« Reply #924 on: August 02, 2017, 07:39:25 pm »
Dear all
I have posted before - raising my first meat birds (Cobbs - yes, I know.....  :-[).
I moved them outside at the weekend and they seem happy on the grass. How much should I feed them? I have them on organic Growers pellets - 16% protein. If I feed them ad lib, they just sit and eat. Am trying feeding them 3 times a day which certainly makes them more active - scratching and pecking around between meals. Instinctively, I feel this is healthier for them and encourages more activity. Happily the 2 who had splayed legs have recovered after a week of taping - not quite as agile as the others but happily weight-bearing and getting around OK.
How do you know how much to feed them??
Sally

I've had them twice (both times sent to me by accident)  :rant:
Are they free range or in a run?
You could try moving feed and water to opposite ends of run to encourage movement.
I only fed mine twice a day and took the feeders away after about 20 mins, the rest of the time the had to free rang (well kind of)  ::)

This is a feed conversation chart I found on the net, might be of help.
But remember the big producers don't mind if they just sit & eat so I wouldn't pay too much attention to it.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 07:41:17 pm by Dave C »

Dave C

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Teesdale, Co Durham
« Reply #925 on: August 02, 2017, 07:42:31 pm »

Good luck with them  :thumbsup:

There is a few of us on here that will be interested in knowing how they turn out  :thumbsup:

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #926 on: August 02, 2017, 08:01:10 pm »
Wow, the Americans pay some crazy $$$ for there poultry.
Imagine if fox eats your $400...
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Dave C

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Teesdale, Co Durham
« Reply #927 on: August 02, 2017, 08:53:38 pm »
Yeah and they have a lot more than foxes to worry about.

I.e. Big cats, Cyotes, hawks, Owls, Snakes and Ants are real bad.  :o

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #928 on: August 03, 2017, 09:35:06 am »
Don't forget Bears!

Coming back to meat chickens - I want to order some chicks this month (before it gets too cold).

Not sure whether to order the colourful sasso I had last year from Piggots or red rangers from the s&t.

I want to try some of the naked neck boilers they have, although they look hideous they are meant to be much easier to pluck.

Dave C

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Teesdale, Co Durham
« Reply #929 on: August 03, 2017, 01:31:08 pm »
I'm not sure if S&T are still going mate.

I've had eggs /chicks from them for years and this year I was after some game birds and had no reply.
Also others from another forum have contacted them without success.

I think the Naked Neck is in the make up of the Sasso, the Intermediate growth x431A I got about 4 years ago had a few chicks with parcally naked necks.

I must admit there not for me but each to there own  ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS