Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Breeding for Meat or Eggs  (Read 225406 times)

Dave C

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Teesdale, Co Durham
Re: Breeding for Meat or Eggs
« Reply #840 on: July 01, 2017, 10:34:53 am »
Yes on the bright side anything crossed with these Sasso seem to make a good sized and shaped bird, so will see what 14 weeks brings  :yum:

My straight Sasso are 12 weeks now, haven't weighed them yet but by the feels of them they most cockerels will be ready in 2 weeks.

Will try to get some updated pics up.

Charlie1234

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Powys
« Reply #841 on: July 01, 2017, 12:07:07 pm »
My mrs hasnt seen the IG chicks for a while as she is busy studying at the moment,she was shocked today how much they have grown,think I will be seperating them shortly as the boys are always sparring but not to the extent of the shamo`s + asils I have grown before.

Look forward to seeing how the sasso`s have grown  :thumbsup:
5 Dogs,5 cats,40 chickens,2badger faced sheep + a full freezer

Dave C

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Teesdale, Co Durham
« Reply #842 on: July 01, 2017, 05:36:46 pm »
There 12 weeks now!
Haven't weighed them yet but they feel meaty enough.

This is the Slow growth x Medium growth Sasso's
Like the medium growth Sasso's they have bad movement and probably wouldn't make breeding age.

One of The Sasso x Marans

This is the most suitable slow growth Sasso Cockerel to keep for breeding next year

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #843 on: July 01, 2017, 06:22:34 pm »
The look really good!
My Barbezieux are 6 weeks old. Pretty sure they are 2 boys and 3 girls! That mean all will be left for breeding hopefully.
Also I got la bresse eggs from a fellow accidental smallholder forum lady who happens to live not far away from us! Big thanks to her! They are developing well and should hatch in about 10 days.
I'm thinking of keeping one Barbezieux cockerel with Barbezieux girls and the other one with lat bresse girls and rotate them every week or two.
Muscovy sitting on 14 eggs. Another two weeks wait  :fc:
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Charlie1234

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Powys
« Reply #844 on: July 02, 2017, 11:12:16 am »
Birds are looking a good size Dave.
what age are these I.G. I had from you ? cant seem to find any notes anywhere of when I got them etc.

Sold 2 of the I.G. Cockerels to a chap in the next village yesterday he is looking to cross them with some of his birds.
He has plymouth rocks and Amrocks.
Not heard of the amrocks before so I will be visiting him shortly for a nosey around lol.
He reckons they look like P.R. but bigger + meatier.

Macgro:
glad the Barbezieux are doing well mate  :thumbsup:
what is the Muscovy sitting ? duck or hen eggs ?

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #845 on: July 02, 2017, 01:37:11 pm »
Muscovy is sitting on her own eggs
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Charlie1234

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Powys
« Reply #846 on: July 02, 2017, 03:04:03 pm »
Nice one  :thumbsup:
Plenty of meat if you get surplus boys  ;)

snowyriver

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Montgomeryshire
« Reply #847 on: July 02, 2017, 04:07:11 pm »
My Barbezieux are 6 weeks old. Pretty sure they are 2 boys and 3 girls! That mean all will be left for breeding hopefully.
Also I got la bresse eggs from a fellow accidental smallholder forum lady who happens to live not far away from us! Big thanks to her! They are developing well and should hatch in about 10 days.
I'm thinking of keeping one Barbezieux cockerel with Barbezieux girls and the other one with lat bresse girls and rotate them every week or two.
There's a guy from Hereford who keeps both Barbezieu and Bresse and has been selling hatching eggs on ebay.

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #848 on: July 02, 2017, 05:38:32 pm »
There's a guy from Hereford who keeps both Barbezieu and Bresse and has been selling hatching eggs on ebay.
That's the lady I got them from

Dave C

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Teesdale, Co Durham
« Reply #849 on: July 02, 2017, 07:38:39 pm »
The look really good!
Muscovy sitting on 14 eggs. Another two weeks wait  :fc:

Sounds like a good plan  :thumbsup:
Whether you cull them or keep them for breeding it will be very interesting to see what weights they make and how quick, then compare the crosses next year.

Good luck with them mate  :fc: :fc: :fc:

Dave C

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Teesdale, Co Durham
« Reply #850 on: July 02, 2017, 07:43:10 pm »
Birds are looking a good size Dave.
what age are these I.G. I had from you ? cant seem to find any notes anywhere of when I got them etc.

Sold 2 of the I.G. Cockerels to a chap in the next village yesterday he is looking to cross them with some of his birds.
He has plymouth rocks and Amrocks.
Not heard of the amrocks before so I will be visiting him shortly for a nosey around lol.
He reckons they look like P.R. but bigger + meatier.

Macgro:
glad the Barbezieux are doing well mate  :thumbsup:
what is the Muscovy sitting ? duck or hen eggs ?

The IG hatched 2.5.17 so 8 weeks old mate.

Them Amrocks are a big old bird if you can find them, used a lot in America.

Lad I know was breeding them last year and had a lot pinched  :rant:
They were for show ( which is a shame) nice looking bird.

I'm pleased with the Sasso's I bred, so far they are as good as the parents, looks like they do breed true and there also designed to be very closely related which they will need to be.

The only slight criticism I might have is they seem a little bit lazier than last years, they still quite good but last years were ranging right out in the field.
Will see what there like when I separate the breeders and limit there feed a bit.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 07:53:50 pm by Dave C »

Charlie1234

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Powys
« Reply #851 on: July 02, 2017, 08:37:38 pm »
Cheers Dave  :thumbsup:

Few pics I took earlier today,a few blue boys here S.R. + the cuckoo marans + barnie chicks were out enjoying the sunshine. so far they are all similar sizes.

Charlie1234

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Powys
« Reply #852 on: July 02, 2017, 08:40:28 pm »
few more

Charlie1234

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Powys
« Reply #853 on: July 02, 2017, 08:44:07 pm »
The blue I.G.pullet + black IG X maran pullet that I hatched a while back.
white cockerel is what was supposed to be a pure bresse he`s a big boy but i dont think pure bresse.

Dave C

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Teesdale, Co Durham
« Reply #854 on: July 03, 2017, 09:19:16 am »
They all starting to get a nice shape to them mate  :thumbsup:

Yes, the la Bresse has a lack of Blue in his legs, shows a cross somewhere down the line.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS