Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Breeding for Meat or Eggs  (Read 225914 times)

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
Re: Breeding for Meat or Eggs
« Reply #720 on: May 05, 2017, 01:57:01 pm »
Where abouts are you?

I might be able to sort you some Sasso eggs or chicks out.

Im in SE Wales just outside Newport.  No where near to you.  As a newbie to table hen rearing which do you recommend the most?  I usually pay £15 for a meat bird (organic) so looking to raise anything under that price.  I'll be rearing to organic standards but not selling however their food will be organic as this is how we eat.  We have a big farm, plenty of space and grass. Big mouths to feed though!

Dave C

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Teesdale, Co Durham
« Reply #721 on: May 05, 2017, 08:02:29 pm »
Hi FW, I travel over to Wrexham with work every few weeks if that's any good.

The type depends on how quickly you want them on your table and how much meat you want them to have.
Pure breeds taking longer and having a lot more frame and darker meat than broilers but have there place.
I would keep away from the Ross Cobb type as they gain weight so fast they can have many health problems before they even get to 6 weeks.

The French Sasso's I kept back last year and have bred from are somewhere in between, they are the free range type and when allowed to do so keep very fit.

Last year I worked out they cost me just under £5 each to rear.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 09:12:19 pm by Dave C »

Dave C

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Teesdale, Co Durham
« Reply #722 on: May 05, 2017, 09:14:12 pm »
These are mine at 4 weeks now, bred them myself from 2 types of French Sasso meat hybrids I kept back last year, they are the Free range type.

The Whites are Sasso x Cuckoo Marans

A Sasso x Marans Pullet

Not a good pic, but a nice shape for a Marans cross

As you can see they are holding plenty Meat already, I will be keeping the Pullets back again for breeding and there excellent layers all year round.
And the fittest cockerel as a back up to last years big fella.

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #723 on: May 05, 2017, 09:16:24 pm »
Wow! They look meaty already!
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Charlie1234

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Powys
« Reply #724 on: May 05, 2017, 09:56:29 pm »

The type depends on how quickly you want them on your table and how much meat you want them to have.
Pure breeds taking longer and having a lot more frame and darker meat than broilers but have there place.
I would keep away from the Ross Cobb type as they gain weight so fast they can have many health problems before they even get to 6 weeks.

The French Sasso's I kept back last year and have bred from are somewhere in between, they are the free range type and when allowed to do so keep very fit.

Hi Farmers Wife
I am meeting Dave C next Tuesday so I could bring some Eggs back to Llandrindod wells If you could get to me to collect them ??

5 Dogs,5 cats,40 chickens,2badger faced sheep + a full freezer

Charlie1234

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Powys
« Reply #725 on: May 05, 2017, 10:00:22 pm »
These are mine at 4 weeks now, bred them myself from 2 types of French Sasso meat hybrids I kept back last year, they are the Free range type.

A Sasso x Marans Pullet

As you can see they are holding plenty Meat already, I will be keeping the Pullets back again for breeding and there excellent layers all year round.

They look great Dave,can see they are gonna have plenty of breast meat..once I get the I.G. + Turkeys growing I`ll be up for some of them Sasso  :thumbsup:

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
« Reply #726 on: May 05, 2017, 10:16:49 pm »

Hi Farmers Wife
I am meeting Dave C next Tuesday so I could bring some Eggs back to Llandrindod wells If you could get to me to collect them ??

Llandrindod is a considerable distance from me.  I am close to the M4 not far from the Severn Bridge.  And Wrexham (I could drive to London and back quicker lol) Its not a pleasant drive either.  The furthest I could justify is Crickhowell/Brecon.  Very kind though and if I knew anyone in mid Wales I would.  Thanks again.

Dave C

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Teesdale, Co Durham
« Reply #727 on: May 05, 2017, 10:36:15 pm »
Never mind FW

Mrs C is looking into doing the posting eggs thing, so if we ever get sorted I will let you know.

Dave C

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Teesdale, Co Durham
« Reply #728 on: May 05, 2017, 11:22:21 pm »

A Sasso x Marans Pullet

They look great Dave,can see they are gonna have plenty of breast meat..once I get the I.G. + Turkeys growing I`ll be up for some of them Sasso  :thumbsup:

Thanks mate, they seem to be breeding very well and I would love to get a few gene pools going which will help breeding them long term.

Charlie1234

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Powys
« Reply #729 on: May 08, 2017, 10:06:52 pm »
Well I have spoken to a mate today and he is happy to hatch + keep a few sasso for me until I get the I.G. to a good size so i can move them into the stables,so look forward to helping the gene pool of your sasso`s mate  :thumbsup:

Dave C

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Teesdale, Co Durham
« Reply #730 on: May 09, 2017, 08:01:30 am »
Chicks sorted, eggs sorted  :thumbsup:

Although if I'd had more than a days notice on the eggs I would of separated the cross breed hens out to ensure 100% of the eggs were French Sasso's   :innocent:  :D

But hey, we all like a wild card surprise   or two :excited:

Charlie1234

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Powys
« Reply #731 on: May 09, 2017, 07:30:21 pm »
Thanks for the Chicks + the eggs mate,bit of a last minute offer by a mate to hatch the eggs hence the short notice but you pulled it off  :trophy:

Chicks are looking nice + happy and I didnt realise until I got them out 1 at a time that you had put extra`s in  :thumbsup: really appreciate it.

Nice to have met up + had a good old chin wag,will keep you posted on their progress and get some decent pics on once my new camera arrives later in the week.

Dave C

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Teesdale, Co Durham
« Reply #732 on: May 09, 2017, 08:52:57 pm »
No problem at all pal.

Always good to have a good chat with someone who knows what there talking about and appreciates utility birds  :thumbsup:

Really good meeting you & the wife and I hope the birds turn out well for you.

Looking forward to the pics.

Charlie1234

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Powys
« Reply #733 on: May 10, 2017, 06:17:12 pm »
Chicks settled once they sussed out the electric hen,feeding+ drinking well and spending as much time on the hen as under it.

My New camera came today so got a few pics of chicks,my IG boy + speckledy hens + the last chicks i hatched (2xbresse,1 ig and 1 ig x maran)

Dave C

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Teesdale, Co Durham
« Reply #734 on: May 10, 2017, 08:51:42 pm »
Nice looking birds mate  :thumbsup:

Looking forward to plenty of pics now you have the new camera  ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS