Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Breeding for Meat or Eggs  (Read 225971 times)

Bramham Wiltshire Horns

• Joined Oct 2014
  • leeds
  • Bramham flock Wiltshire Horns
Re: Breeding for Meat or Eggs
« Reply #315 on: September 06, 2016, 10:13:07 pm »
Hi Dave how much did it cost you for the day old farm rangers I'm thinking of ordering some
follow on FB@BramhamWiltshireHorns

Dave C

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Teesdale, Co Durham
« Reply #316 on: September 07, 2016, 01:39:10 pm »
spread attached
so i have now reached  point where my pullets havet been gaining much weight and seem to have come to a lull

and the mains are also putting small amounts on

since subday i have now changed there diet and put them on a boiled wheat mix to see if i can add some extra weight
if i cant see a change this week then i will finish them off the following week and start culling we are at 17 weeks

Sounds like you have hit the wall.
They have built their frame and it's a slow process getting any decent meat on them and probably not worth even trying with the pullets.
But you have your records so you know which hens will produce the fastest maturing offspring.

I weighed my Buff Rocks last week they were 15 weeks old and a huge looking birds now.
They average 2.6kg but they are all frame.
When you feel them there is next to no Brest meat on them but they will make massive birds but I don't have 6 or 7 months to wait for that, so they will be moved on or culled.

Dave C

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Teesdale, Co Durham
« Reply #317 on: September 07, 2016, 01:46:31 pm »
When we was growing fowl for  the Christmas market it was unblefabul at Huntley they fetched £18 each not dressed .And £40 for the geese .The 18 were corn fed .We stopt doing the fowl as dispatching and dressing was a problem . Did like doing the fowl the pics look splended Dave you will get the ideal bird .Myn  was Dorking Indian and ixworth the hatching eggs made more than the stock .It takes a season to get the foundation stock castle farms have some lovaley stock for these  projects .

Thanks VF, yes that's what this year is all about getting the foundation for next year I will then be trying 3 different crosses between my birds, comparing early maturity, size and taste and also if they then breed true.
I will then know where to concentrate my efforts and stock my birds accordingly.

I got my original IG birds from Castle Farm and am very happy with them, I've bought in new stock this year to merge bloodlines.
Not sure if Castle Farm is still going, not heard anything from Dave since May and a lot of people haven't had any replies when trying to order hatching eggs.

Dave C

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Teesdale, Co Durham
« Reply #318 on: September 07, 2016, 01:51:26 pm »
Hi Dave how much did it cost you for the day old farm rangers I'm thinking of ordering some

Think they were 85p each  :thumbsup:

Dave C

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Teesdale, Co Durham
« Reply #319 on: September 07, 2016, 01:56:00 pm »
Decided to process my 4 largest cockerels as there movement wasn't good and I couldn't look at them any longer struggling to walk about.
Killed them Monday and dressed them last night, they all made between 2.5 & 2.8kg dressed, not bad for 11 weeks and the Breast meat was massive and thick.

I have kept 2 of the lighter weight cockerels to grow on a bit as there movement is much better, hoping to make a Christmas birds from them.
And obviously keeping the hens for my breeding program   :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 01:58:16 pm by Dave C »

Bramham Wiltshire Horns

• Joined Oct 2014
  • leeds
« Reply #320 on: September 07, 2016, 03:14:51 pm »
Was it S&t poultry?
What did you feed them on again

I will weigh again Sunday to see any improvement on the new diet and then decide from there

Dave C

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Teesdale, Co Durham
« Reply #321 on: September 07, 2016, 03:28:58 pm »
Yes S&T poultry, I just fed them chick crumbs until 6 weeks then growers pellets until finishing.

I was thinking of another batch but don't want to have to give them light in the dark nights. So might struggle getting them up to the same weights.

I might just let my Gallic lay a bit longer then try some of there eggs  :thinking:

Dave C

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Teesdale, Co Durham
« Reply #322 on: September 10, 2016, 04:47:18 pm »
Some of My chicks at 1 week old
Guess the odd one out !

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #323 on: September 11, 2016, 01:58:41 pm »
Wow! I haven't been here for couple of weeks!
Since then all my meat chicks have overgrown the dorking pullets (which are 8 weeks older!), but not the cockerel. They are now 9 weeks old.
The red ones are actually significantly larger than the white ones!!!
We have only eaten two white ones and they were fantastic. They do have much more breast meat than the red ones but weight wise they are probably similar.
My rabbits are also 9 weeks old and I separated 2 fastest growing females for breeding and 8 is going to the freezer tonight or tomorrow.
Will send some pics tonight ????
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Dave C

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Teesdale, Co Durham
« Reply #324 on: September 11, 2016, 05:45:28 pm »
Hi mate, sounds like they are doing well.

What age were the broiler birds when you processed them and what weight did they make ?

Yes pics would be good  :thumbsup:

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #325 on: September 12, 2016, 11:11:08 am »
Sorry I forgot to take pics lol
I didn't weigh them. They were about 6 and half weeks old.
Same size as they "baby chickens" from the butcher shop.
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #326 on: September 14, 2016, 09:51:40 pm »

I just put six of these guys in the freezer.
Tomorrow will do some chickens.
And no, they are not dogs. They are rabbits.

Dave C

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Teesdale, Co Durham
« Reply #327 on: September 17, 2016, 08:14:21 pm »
Very nice pal I love a bit of rabbit.

Which chickens are you processing? Have you done any Of your medium grow Sasso's yet ?

Dave C

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Teesdale, Co Durham
« Reply #328 on: September 17, 2016, 08:15:33 pm »
PR, have you decided what you are doing with your LS & LSxIG yet ?

Bramham Wiltshire Horns

• Joined Oct 2014
  • leeds
« Reply #329 on: September 17, 2016, 09:31:53 pm »
PR, have you decided what you are doing with your LS & LSxIG yet ?

Not been on a while been bit busy

Will be culling next week keeping the best LS cock and pullet and IGx pullet

I've just done a couple of random weights will put it against last weeks results they feel like they have started growing again

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS