Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Complete personality shift after 10 years!  (Read 9328 times)

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
Re: Complete personality shift after 10 years!
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2016, 03:32:10 pm »
I think I'd ask for his eyesight to be checked as well.

DODx

• Joined May 2016
  • South lanarkshire
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2016, 09:49:55 pm »
His summer coat definitely hasn't came in aswell this year so we were thinking along the lines of cushings. I don't think it's just a case of being grumpy though there is definitely a pain somewhere. Hopefully she does a full check over I will not let her leave the yard til we find out.

Also this may be totally unrelated and god please I hope it is, but a horse died today at the yard bless him :( and I think they said something like grass disease or something? Sorry I'm not very sure but I heard someone say it might have been fluke? And I'm sure that's contagious, don't think it could be linked do yous?
Thanks again for all your answers guys and I will kee you all up to date

HappyHippy

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2016, 11:26:34 pm »
Grass sickness? I don't know a lot about it, but it's a very unpleasant disease with an alarmingly low treatment/recovery rate  :'( A lot of ponies and horses seem to be coming down with it this year from what I've heard.
Fluke is environmental, but you should be able to treat quite easily for that. I think a poo sample away for worm/fluke analysis might be needed but your vet will know if it's a problem in your area.
We had an oldie with cushings. Their coat can get thick and fluffy and they exhibit arthritic type symptoms - one tablet a day and he'll hopefully have a decent quality of life for many more years but maybe not for riding. Our old fella was over 30 and on a good day my daughter could get 5-10 minutes on his back while he walked round or a bit of lunging and going over small jumps (not backed) for exercise.
Hope you get some answers soon  :fc:

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2016, 08:32:18 am »
Grass sickness is quick and your boy does not have any of the symptoms so definitely not that.

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2016, 05:10:09 pm »
Grass sickness isn't thought to be contagious as such. It seems to be related to horses eating Sycamore trees or the seed pods, though, so if one horse has picked up the toxins, others might too.

I believe there are vets who don't think horses can get liver fluke, so you might have difficulty talking to your vet about that one.

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2016, 06:54:12 pm »
Atypical myoglobinuria  is seemingly brought on by sycamore, spores in leaf litter and the likes, rapid loss of muscle usage amongst others devastating effects.     My personal layman thoughts on EGS, it's avian related as said above x

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2016, 10:06:33 pm »
I hope the vet comes soon and sorts this out for you. This post is reading rather like one of those books that tells you what is wrong with you when you look up your symptoms.

DODx

• Joined May 2016
  • South lanarkshire
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2016, 03:41:29 pm »
So guys the vet has been and now I feel like an overprotective mother! Best possible outcome we could've hoped for I guess! Basically she dug away a bit of his foot and there is a big bruise! Even though I was inspecting his feet what felt like every half hour! She gave more danolin and he has to be kept in for a few days, he is most definitely over weight but has always went up and down like that so muzzle time again for him when he does get out. And his behaviour is just due to him being sore and grumpy so I guess I'll excuse it for the moment! The ripping of the ring off the wall was just a blatant 'I'm not happy'
I did however get the vet to take blood samples and test for cushings as I'm not convinced with his coat (I know I'm a panicker) although Scarlet Dragon you made me feel a lot better about that side of things.
Thank you all so much for listening to my frantic worrying and all your suggestions, and believe me I went through everyone with a fine tooth comb! Hope yous are all as happy with this outcome as me!

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2016, 03:46:25 pm »
That's good news nowt serious  :thumbsup:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2016, 04:27:11 pm »
Much better to be an overprotective mother than to leave something important uninvestigated  :hug:

Very glad to hear the news  :relief:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2016, 04:47:25 pm »
I am pleased that it is summat and nowt.

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2016, 04:52:27 pm »
What a relief!  :relief:

DODx

• Joined May 2016
  • South lanarkshire
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2016, 05:25:49 pm »
Wooo woo! Worry free In time for the weekend.  :relief:  :excited:

DODx

• Joined May 2016
  • South lanarkshire
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2016, 10:26:15 am »
Oliver say thanks guys he's sorry for being a grump  :innocent:

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2016, 07:35:52 pm »
Good  to hear you have got to the bottom of his problem.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS