Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Complete personality shift after 10 years!  (Read 9296 times)

DODx

• Joined May 2016
  • South lanarkshire
Complete personality shift after 10 years!
« on: June 05, 2016, 12:03:31 pm »
Have had my horse for 10 years now and he is the laziest most laid back safe wee guy but this last week he has been an absolute nightmare!
He is 100% bombproof and always has been but recently he has been refusing to move when bringing him in which I thought was just a laziness thing but when I did get him in and tie him up (like I do every single day) he flings his head back and pulls the thing off the wall and runs away. When riding he is backing up and breathing heavily as if he is scared of something and spinning in circles. Felt some heat coming from his leg so kept him in for a night and in the morning when I got there he had escaped. He is pawing at the stable door which is something I have never seen him do! He actually has always preferred being in than out. It's like a different horse! Any idea what is causing this?

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: Complete personality shift after 10 years!
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2016, 12:33:04 pm »
If he hasn't had a bad experience that you know of then I would suspect pain and suggest you get your vet to see him as soon as possible as there is clearly something going on that is affecting him badly.  He can at least rule out medical issues. Have you watched him in the field? Is he acting normally when he is out? If the vet is happy it is not medical I would look at tack. Is his saddle fitting ok. No easy answer to this one.

Jullienne

• Joined Apr 2016
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2016, 02:09:36 pm »
It is rather a tricky one..... I would agree with harmony def get the vet out to have a look and his saddles and stuff, but is it possible that he can smell an on heat mare anywhere, or is he not entire? I hope you find out what is troubling him soon. It could just be that he has become unruly in his old age, what do you feed him? Any changes in diet at all?
boast not yourself of tomorrow; for you know not what a day may bring forth. Let another man praise you, and not your own mouth; a stranger, and not your own lips. proverbs 27 verses 1-2.

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2016, 03:10:03 pm »
Sounds llike a pain thing to me.  Catching and tying up are a prelude to riding so are affected by association.  Is his grazing a bit rich = feeling his feet, not enough to be full blown laminitis but enough to be painful?

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2016, 05:26:45 pm »
How old is he?  Any change in company or routine?  Is he fed on the yard or just grazing?  Has he had teeth done or new tack, hacking route/company, schooling?
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2016, 07:50:29 pm »
Aagree that my first thought is pain in his body.
However, have you tried tying him up outside? If he still reacts then you know it's not something specific to his stable/yard. If he lets you tie him up away from buildings then I'd investigate an accident (injury or nasty fright) associated with stable?
Will he let you handle or groom him just loose in the field?

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2016, 09:21:04 pm »
Sounds either hormonal/endocrinal (is there a lot of clover?) or brain related to me. Possibly teeth or some expectation of pain, unless something nasty has happened at the stables to cause a negative response.

I heard of someone who had their horse at livery, which was getting increasingly nervy and they found out that one of the other liverues was walking past his stable and randomly hitting him!!

Definitely get the vet out.

CarolineJ

• Joined Dec 2015
  • North coast of Scotland
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2016, 09:57:57 pm »
It was saying 'incident in stables' to me as well, until I re-read it and spotted this bit which doesn't seem to be stable-related:  "When riding he is backing up and breathing heavily as if he is scared of something and spinning in circles."
- which sounds like something's hurting.  When you say backing up and spinning, does it feel like he's trying to take weight off his forehand, i.e. is he spinning on his haunches?  Was it one of his front legs that had heat in it?  Can you feel raised digital pulses? 

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2016, 08:02:26 am »
This one needs a full check up from the vet. Could be a number of things. This horse is asking for help !

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2016, 10:09:51 pm »
Hi DODx,

How is your horse at the moment? Has the vet been yet?

DODx

• Joined May 2016
  • South lanarkshire
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2016, 04:05:58 pm »
Hi guys so sorry it took a while to reply I have been tearing my hair out. Kept him in thinking it was the grass but he was getting all worked up so has been put out with a muzzle on. Still refusing to come in takes me 45 minutes to get him out the field! The vet is coming this week (we are actually full loaners and the owner took a while to get a hold of as she doesn't take anything to do with the horses) there is no wind turbines, and it was outside where he ripped the thing off the wall so not related to his stable either. He is fine out in the field was lying down with all the other horses on the heat. He is a gielding so mare not a problem. I'm thinking laminitis but really hoping not. He is 22 so is getting on but as of last year he was still jumping around like a young thing. He gets a feed after ridden it's just chaff,mix and cubes. Been giving a wee sprinkle of garlic cause I heard that's meant to keep them going as they get older. There is no longer heat from his leg however his head is still bobbing and seems to be tripping. He is doing this when I am just leading him so don't think tack is a problem. I just really hope he gets better :( thank you guys so much for your replies

DODx

• Joined May 2016
  • South lanarkshire
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2016, 04:06:53 pm »
And yes it is one of his front legs

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2016, 08:38:05 pm »
Hello there, has navicular been mentioned. 

DODx

• Joined May 2016
  • South lanarkshire
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2016, 09:13:09 pm »
Hellybee, that's not been mentioned and actually something that I didn't think of either! Gave him some danolin in a feed tonight and vet will maybe do flexion tests when she gets to see him

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2016, 03:27:08 pm »
Given his age I would be looking at age related conditions to rule out, navicular is certainly one but also things like Cushings or a tumour pressuring somewhere it shouldn't (benign or otherwise).  It could also just be grumpy old man with aches and pains and less tolerance, or a general injury, but it sadly sounds like more than that, so hope the vet can do blood tests and rule a few things out for peace of mind unless the problem is obvious to her from an initial exam. 

Teeth issues would be my other main consideration, particularly if not checked for a while.  Teeth grow at an angle and develop hooks that need more rasping in older horses to keep right - particularly right at the back.  And you can get cracks and other damage which would definitely give him a good reason to behave badly.  If a bad tooth is removed, it may make an almost instant change in his outlook, within a couple of days if that proves to be the issue.

Good luck and hope to hear more when your vet has been.
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS