Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: cat not feeling well  (Read 7265 times)

Vinnie

• Joined Mar 2016
cat not feeling well
« on: June 03, 2016, 01:42:44 am »
So our cat about 2 days ago puked up her food, she has puked up hairballs before. But this time just before she puked gave that loud meowing sound and then up came her dry cat food. Since then she hasn't been herself, won't touch her dry food and will only eat alittle canned cat food. If I put the wet food on my finger she will eat it, but otherwise just  prefers to sleep even more then usual. Also she pooped yesterday but not today. Her pee seems normal, she drinks water when I take her over to it. She just is lethargic I guess is the word. She usually plays and runs around the house , and usually in the morning she is meowing her head off until I feed her, now nothing. Her butt looked dry and alittle crusty so I put some olive oil on it. I found online that pumpkin is really good for cats so we tried that, and she really does like it, mix it with some plain hamburger and she ate small pieces off my hand.
So I guess my question is any suggestions what could be wrong? She just isn't herself ???

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: cat not feeling well
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2016, 08:09:52 am »
Vet
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2016, 08:12:27 am »
Agreed, I cannot tell what is wrong without examining or doing some tests but sounds like she is quite unwell.

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2016, 09:16:24 am »
Vet, our little lady went like this so we took her to vet, she had been cleaning the dogs, as she likes to do, and had got blocked up and as a knock on dehydrated, she was put on a drip, given laxatives and metacam, so yes vet ASAP xxx good luck x

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2016, 09:51:55 am »
Yes, I would say vets is needed.

Our cat had similar symptoms a couple of years ago and I thought she had a blockage. It turned out to be a short piece of grass trapped in the nasal cavity which needed removing.

Symptoms are too vague to hazard a guess.

Hope that she is okay.

Vinnie

• Joined Mar 2016
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2016, 07:42:56 pm »
Thanks everyone, she is feeling much better.
We did call a vet and told him everything he said as long as she is eating and drinking some then to just watch her carefully for the next 48 hrs unless something changes. So every couple of hours I made sure she got some water and food. She is pretty much back to herself just hasn't pooped but that hopefully will come as she is eating and drinking by herself now. She must have got into something toxic but have no idea what which is annoying because I don't know what it is so I can't get rid of it. So happy she is back to meowing and telling me off to fill her dish, I really missed her talking when she wasn't feeling good. She is a very vocal cat when something isn't to her liking it is funny. But when she is sick she doesn't make a sound

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2016, 09:49:00 pm »
Very glad to hear she's ok  :relief:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Vinnie

• Joined Mar 2016
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2016, 03:05:41 pm »
Thanks , I sure am glad she is feeling better. I know she is getting older but she is still my little kitty. She was born in the chicken coop and her mother sort only half took care of her, she was sort of runty. But when you came to get the eggs she would hop on your shoulder and ride around. And she would sleep under the chickens to stay warm didn't bother them at all. Then winter came and it was too cold outside ,so we brought her in the house. Ever since she hasn't wanted to go back outside. If you want to find her just look for the sun shining in the window she will be there rolling around or sleeping. She is very cute and cuddly , pets are really the best

Vinnie

• Joined Mar 2016
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2016, 07:18:38 pm »
Back again- on Saturday and Sunday our cat pepper was back to her self playing ,eating . Then Sunday night she pukes again, and 2 more times during the night. So of course today she is tired it's like we are back to a few days ago. She is eating and drinking some but just again not her happy self. The vet just says if she is eating and drinking to just wait it out and not to cause her any stress. So frustrating it would be great if animals could talk

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2016, 07:29:58 pm »
has she been st any rat poison or eaten poisoned rats or mice at all?
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2016, 07:45:08 pm »
I would INSIST the vet sees her as this is the second time this has happened in a short space of time.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2016, 07:59:50 pm »
I think I would just make an appointment and take your cat to the vet.

Mine always advise you to take the animal in to be checked .... surely they can't know that there isn't a problem unless the cat is examined?

Seems odd to me ..... perhaps change vets.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2016, 05:06:50 pm »
So our cat about 2 days ago puked up her food, she has puked up hairballs before. But this time just before she puked gave that loud meowing sound and then up came her dry cat food. Since then she hasn't been herself, won't touch her dry food and will only eat alittle canned cat food. If I put the wet food on my finger she will eat it, but otherwise just  prefers to sleep even more then usual. Also she pooped yesterday but not today. Her pee seems normal, she drinks water when I take her over to it. She just is lethargic I guess is the word. She usually plays and runs around the house , and usually in the morning she is meowing her head off until I feed her, now nothing. Her butt looked dry and alittle crusty so I put some olive oil on it. I found online that pumpkin is really good for cats so we tried that, and she really does like it, mix it with some plain hamburger and she ate small pieces off my hand.
So I guess my question is any suggestions what could be wrong? She just isn't herself ???
I'm just reading this from 4 days ago, I hope to hell you've seen another vet.  This cat is ill!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Vinnie

• Joined Mar 2016
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2016, 01:17:50 am »
Well we figured out what was wrong with our cat. Her dry cat food we just bought must have been stale in the bag. Because since we changed both her dry and wet cat food and she is better. It took a few days but now she is back to herself hopefully everything continues. One thing to look out for is when we were looking for a new healthy kind of cat food for her make sure you check the expiration since dates. There were some cans of food with an expiration date of 2014 on it on the shelf. So now we are checking all the time and irritating the store clerks. But that's crazy over 2 years old !!!

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2016, 08:35:00 am »
Well I hope you are right. A hungry cat would be quite different to one you have described.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS