Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Egg bound and rough shells  (Read 6027 times)

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
Re: Egg bound and rough shells
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2010, 09:06:57 am »
just try it for a few weeks and see how she is doing. if she is still having problems and not producing shells then its probably something structural and you will just have to decide what to do.

spencers mum

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2010, 10:18:30 am »
thanks for your help.  I'll top up her bugs and things and take it from there - I'll let you know

sheepnewbies

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2010, 05:16:47 pm »
She's quite cheerful now.  Didn't lay for three days and then another collapsed egg this morning.  I give plenty of oyster shells daily with pellets but they are entirely free range from morning to dusk over many acres.  They have been spotted three fields away so not lacking in fresh produce!  She must be lacking in calcium I imagine - what on earth can I give her that she's not already getting?

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2010, 06:15:19 pm »
i don't think there is. just hope she groes out o it.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2010, 07:56:28 pm »
There are various calcium supplements available for humans.  I have Calcichew D3 for myself and have given pups bits of my tablets for years.  Others are available from Health stores.   Can you give any of these to a hen?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2010, 11:20:43 pm »
no idea. but if its a calicium issue probably best to supply natural sources. if you give too much calicium you may effect other trace elimants. but it could be worth a try. but not yet.

sheepnewbies

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2010, 04:57:51 pm »
Just thought I'd let you know:  After talking to someone in our local farm store, I wormed the girls again, even though it is only 4 months since I last did them - with Flubenvet you only do it every 6 months - 4 days after starting the worming, she's just produced a decent egg, the first one in some weeks!   Hope this will help someone else.

spencers mum

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2010, 10:03:56 pm »
Hi all - thought I'd give an update re: chook that was producing lots of soft shells (sometimes 3 a day).  Shetland Paul advised increase in calcium may help.  got some dried meal worms, fed her live ones whilst gardening and increased greens intake.  We've also let the 3 girls 'roam' a little more than they would usually - and introduced them to the dog with good results - and all in all she's a lot perkier and producing one 'normal' egg a day.  thanks all for the advice/help :wave:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2010, 10:37:27 pm »
Great news! ;D ;D ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2010, 08:32:08 am »
pleased for you and the chuck.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS