Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Egg bound and rough shells  (Read 6028 times)

sheepnewbies

• Joined Nov 2008
Egg bound and rough shells
« on: May 09, 2010, 12:18:32 pm »
I wonder if anyone has advice.  One of my two-year old four girls lays eggs either with a very soft shell (broken usually by the time I get to it) or with a very rough raspy uneven shell.  She often sits puffed out for hours looking very miserable but does eventually lay - even dropping it on open ground.  I give them plenty of grit and oyster shell, they have organic layers pellets, a pick-me-up in their water and by day they wander totally freely.  This morning she's been sitting in the run, won't come out, looking really miserable and puffed up.  She didn't lay yesterday.  Anything more I can do?
Isobel

sheepnewbies

• Joined Nov 2008
Re: Egg bound and rough shells
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2010, 03:49:50 pm »
She's now passed a totally collapsed egg in the nesting box since when I've had her in hot water (not too hot!) for some time and dried her off.  She's been pecking around a bit and she's now back in the nest box......

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2010, 04:12:08 pm »
poor girl
I dont know what to advise... but we get funny eggs too sometimes, so I will watch avidly for advice myself....
Little Blue

sheepnewbies

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2010, 07:44:10 pm »
Thanks.  Possibly the problem is not egg bound as such but the fact that the shells are so so soft it is difficult to lay them properly - if that makes sense.

spencers mum

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2010, 10:44:51 am »
Hi there just read your post and I have something similar.  One of mine (only had her two months) lays well for a couple of days then after a perfect egg in the morning she lays another beautifully formed but with a soft shell in the garden and not in her box and then she lays another yolk only with a poor shell - the 2nd 2eggs happen late pm. So effectively 3 in one day.  She then doesn't lay the next day and then is back to normal the following day.  The pattern is then repeated in 3/4 days time.  Bizarre!  Very happy in herself and like yours is fed well with free range pellets, grit, baked and crushed egg shells and lovley tit bits.  To be honest out of my 3 she is least impressed with grit - wonder if I should put it in the food itself?  I'll keep an eye out to see if there's a 'link' perhaps with our girls!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2010, 02:18:42 pm »
I read somewhere that layers pellets encourage egg laying so maybe you could reduce her intake of that and top up with mixed grain and veg?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

spencers mum

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2010, 03:06:51 pm »
Hi there - thanks for the reply!  I shall try this - she is the largest of the 3 yet the least forthright.  She's hangs back when scraps/veggies are given (not really sure she is getting her fair share) yet she does eat a lot of pellets - I guess because she can get to them without pushing as the feeder is large enough for all 3 birds.  Ive put out some more grit too - what about mixing grit in with pellets?  Does anyone do this?

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2010, 03:35:24 pm »
then you will need to boost the calcium intake. reducing the pellets reduces the amount they get.

spencers mum

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2010, 03:49:47 pm »
mmmmm and how does one do that?!  ???

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2010, 05:13:10 pm »
more oyster shell. calcium rich food bugs/ greens the darker the better. old roasted egg shells crushed would be easy.

spencers mum

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2010, 06:38:41 pm »
thank you - I don't do oyster shell alone, I do mixed grit - is that ok?  Also they have greens/kale/dandelion leaves etc daily and they free range in an area about 8m x5m so I guess get their bugs there?

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2010, 07:37:47 pm »
it should be. they will pick what they want. your enclosier is big but it will be limited in bugs after a while. when digging save them any worms you come across. good food and fun to watch as they chase around with them.

spencers mum

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2010, 07:42:20 pm »
thank you - I do pass on worms and things.  Have just been out with boiled rice and the 'greedy two' have scoffed.  The other one is doing her 'thing' - we have a drooped tail, she's standing very still and her vent is very active as opposed to the other two whose bums appear fine.  My bet says we'll have an egg soon (it's 19:40 now) and if we do that's 2 days on the trot.  Then she'll perk up and be happy to top up before bed..............

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2010, 10:09:11 pm »
how old is she.

spencers mum

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2010, 07:45:25 am »
morning Shetland paul!  She is a maran/bluebell x (??) and approx 40 weeks.  She's quite big and we've had a few lovely double yokers from her before this started.  Last night she put herself to bed and this morning we had a yolk on the poo tray.  This is an improvement from the previous night but I can't help feeling she just can't seem to 'hold on' through the night..........This morning very eager to get out as usual and eating well - infact she went straight to the grit i've sprinkled on the ground - dosent seem to bother if its in its pot.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS