Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Changing roof pitch  (Read 2891 times)

SmallWelshBarn

• Joined Sep 2014
Changing roof pitch
« on: May 23, 2016, 07:27:48 pm »
Evening all, we have started to dig the foundations for a 3 bay open fronted hay & landrover storage ;-) barn. Its 12m x 5m wide 6m high. Original design was for a standard 45 pitch roof both side.
The lower level will be for hay etc I was thinking of making the upper level more useable for workshop or storage. Thus thinking of changing the back side pitch to a mansard to give me more head hight this is the side that no one can see as it faces in to a forest.
My question is do I need planning consent to change to a mansard (the original roof ridge hight will not change)
I'm located in an ANOB
Thanks in advance

UPoneacre

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Llanidloes, Powys
Re: Changing roof pitch
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2016, 08:18:30 pm »
Did you obtain planning consent for the original design barn? If so then changing the rear slope to a mansard will be a departure from the original approved design and will require consent. Unfortunately any 'development' in an AONB tends to be a sensitive issue with planners.

SmallWelshBarn

• Joined Sep 2014
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2016, 05:45:28 pm »
Did you obtain planning consent for the original design barn? If so then changing the rear slope to a mansard will be a departure from the original approved design and will require consent. Unfortunately any 'development' in an AONB tends to be a sensitive issue with planners.
Yes I applied for planning consent, looking at the planning portal it would seem providing you are not changing the ridge hight then you don't need consent. I stand to be corrected.

UPoneacre

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Llanidloes, Powys
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2016, 06:43:39 pm »
In that case my original comment applies - it's not just ridge height that planners will consider, they'll also take into account any change to the elevations including roof pitch.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS