Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pen Enrichment  (Read 2337 times)

Kier

• Joined Jul 2008
Pen Enrichment
« on: May 06, 2010, 10:22:36 pm »
So instead of destroying the garden the chickens have been moved to a spacious pen,however apart from their coop it is rather barren at the moment.I'm thinking of putting a couple of logs,and hanging grapes for them to peck at,but apart from that has anyone got any proven ideas that work to keep them entertained?I'm hoping that when my mums at work and i;m home from uni i;ll let them have free roam of the garden then pop them back before she gets home anyway,but still lol ;)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Pen Enrichment
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 10:39:24 pm »
Sounds a good plan to me, Keir (oops sorry, wrong spelling - that's my grandson's name spelt that way)  Kier  If they are kept in teh same area all the time it can sour and you need to worm them often, so letting them out to free range is good - but can't you get Mum on board instead of deceiving her?  I know I'd prefer that.
As to toys for them, big logs is good, and hanging things for them to peck at is good too.(Cabbages hung upside down)  Mine have a little one foot high wall that they prance along on and hop on and off, as well as the remains of the last two Christmas trees!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Kier

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 09:47:05 am »
The christmas trees are a really good idea!my mum is on board,in a fashion lol Luckily we can sort of see both sides of the arguement,so so far we've come to an understanding.We 6 bantams due to hatch on tuesday so when they're up to a suitable size then the pen will be ideal as I've seen bantams clear higher fences than ours.
Thanks for your reply

clumbaboy

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Gretna
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 12:16:14 pm »
Hiya,
     A good idea is to hang sweetcorn as well, u can buy peck blocks for them , I have old branches and a big tray of bark chippings, :wave: its trial and error to see what keeps them amused

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2010, 01:21:05 pm »
Sweetcorn, brussel sprout stalks, nettles, comfrey, sunflowers with seedheads, a bird feeder with sunflower seeds / mixed corn are all good activity centres. A box filled with compost would make a good dust bath.

Good luck with the project.

curios

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2010, 06:57:56 pm »
We use a plastic container with one or two small holes just big enough for a mealworm to drop from and fill it with worms and hang it up so they have to keep pecking it to shake them out. I also add  a tray (seed tray) of greenery that is sprouting, and mine have a dust bath too  - a deep tray filled with a mix of playsand and ash form burning paperlogs (apparently ash is a natural deterrent to mites etc).

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2010, 01:41:44 pm »
our girls have a tomy ride on tractor and trailer, and the quail a little toy digger.
they have alot of stuff mentioned above as well...
Little Blue

Kier

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2010, 07:18:08 pm »
thanks for all your ideas everyone,I'm taking on board everything i'm collecting and will hope to put it in there soon.Will post pics as and when,Thanks again

valr

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Brightons nr Falkirk
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2010, 09:30:03 pm »
I read somewhere they like Cds strung up ...  Wonder if they like mirrors, like budgies? :D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS