Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: An election issue  (Read 11405 times)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
An election issue
« on: May 05, 2010, 03:02:10 pm »
I've just been chatting to a friend of mine about her son. Let's call him Jim. Jim is unemployed; he has two kids (15 and 12) who live with their mother, his ex-wife. He's a great dad, has them every second weekend and the boys adore him. Jim has some learning difficulties which restrict what jobs he can do. Nevertheless, he applies for lots of jobs, with help from his support worker. He recently applied for 18 - and didn't get a reply from any. Most of the local busineses rely on Eastern Eurpean labour now.

The only benefit he gets is 64 pounds a week; off that, CSA take 5 quid and he has to repay a benefit overpayment at 5 quid a week. His rent is paid, as is his Council Tax, but his water rates are 12 quid a week and it costs about 25 to heat and power his house (as you can imagine, he's not living in a good, well insulated house with efficient heating). If my maths is correct, that leaves him 17 pounds a week for everything else - food, insurance, holidays (ha,ha), clothes.

He has a car - bought by his parents - if he doesn't have a car, he can't see his kids. If he does voluntary work, he's not available for work, so his benefits stop. He missed signing on a few months ago because he didn't have any money to get to the office to sign on. He phoned and told them but they said he didn't gve enough notice, so they stopped his benefits.

He now suffers from depression. He went to the doctor who said he should get out more. Jim said he had 12p in his pocket, so where did the doctor suggest he go.

If his parents didn't subsidise him, he'd be homeless - he'd use the rent money for food and end up evicted.

I'm sure he's not the only one. Isn't this depressing? Have you heard any of the politicians mention it? Does it sound like a great life? It makes me weep.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: An election issue
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 03:26:40 pm »
I'm sure he's not alone too. Do any of the politicians even KNOW?  Has anyone told them?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 05:43:52 pm »
Of course they Know but it is cheaper to employ European labour Have you not heard and seen on the TV all the bother down Boston way.With the Poles I could go into employers names and what they do like buy a load of caravans from the Skeggy holiday sites where they are being replaced for new and install them as temporary accommodation for the migrant workers Don't tell me the Lincolnshire lads wont work, so the Gang Masters have to employ foreign labour.It's all BOVINE EXCRETEMENT ??? :farmer:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 12:53:34 am »
As its a rented property he may not be able to change these - but its well worth looking at swapping to a no standing charge tariff for electric and gas if your single and don't use much, a water meter is harder to get installed as it requires the property owners consent, but well worth it again if your single.

His situation is similar or the same as hundreds of thousands of other people who rely on benefits to live.  Its not much money really, its workable, but at the sacrifice of your quality of living.  The benefit system is not really geared (though the media will have you think its a luxury living) towards continually sustaining someone on benefits anymore, though some people do find loopholes, mostly stress, back pain or addiction to drugs or alcohol for doctors notes.

I have friends who have to travel nearly an hour on a bus and pay £7 in fares just to go and sign on - and that comes out their pocket.  This is just biased in my opinion towards people with facilities closer - just because they closed our local job center everyone from town has to travel so far and pay for it - not really fair.  When I was a kid we had postal signing on.

They say that they have to get you in so you can look at the job boards and explain what you have been doing to find work - but that could all be done over the phone or by post imo - as for looking in the job center for a a job, its about the last place I would look, its crap.  Rather pop down the shops every morning and use a paper to search.

It gets pretty grim when your young and broke, especially if you are trying to find work and not getting any. I hope he finds something soon.

Ta

Baz

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 07:42:54 am »
Thanks baz! Really appreciate the positive tips - I'll pass them on. At least it feels like doing SOMETHING. It's the feeling of being out of control and not able to fight the system - which just seems to kick you when you're down and you really need a hand up.

starcana

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2010, 11:01:40 am »
Yes, benefit support is too low for those like Jim who are genuinely deserving. But if it were not for so called cheap foreign labour, there would be another scapegoat to blame. And surely, worth thinking about today of all days when you choose to cast your vote for a party who WILL NOT cut public spending as a first act in office (if they get there!).

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2010, 12:36:05 pm »
I know someone who lives here in France, has a house with 20 acres, horses, sheep,pigs.  They pay nothing to the French in the way of taxes, although they are making attempts to claim various benefits, the back pay if they get it for a year is staggering well into 4 figures.  On the other hand they are being asked to pay contributions as they have sold a lot of pigs/sheep etc.  They are planning to take the French Government to the Court of Human Rights as they have been told by their German neighbour that they don't have to pay (unlike us normal folk).

The wife claims income support from UK, has a modified car (new every 2 years) and a 3 bedroom house all expenses paid for as she is officially unemployed due to her disability.  They complain the whole time to anyone who has the misfortune to get stuck with them that they are mistreated, underpaid and that if they were of a different colour they would be able to claim so much more.

So for all the decent, honest Jim's there are always a few  who abuse the system and give the media the opportunity and the excuse to hit out at the decent majority.  Thus allowing politicians to continually attempt to cut the benefits by adding more and more rules, which of course the Jim's get caught out by being honest and the less honest use to manipulate even more money.

Annie22

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Hoddles Creek
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2010, 01:38:33 pm »
It is shocking for the people who are really trying, if he was living here he would be getting 138.59 pounds a week, plus a health care card which would give him a discount on electricity.  My husband knows how frustrating it is to look for work.  He injured his hand in 2000 at work and eventually had it amputated in 2004.  He started looking for work in November (we had other funds till then), people wouldn't even interview him once he said he used a claw.  In January he started at a temping agency  and was also given a job on a farm.  He is now working all the time, so hopefully somebody gives "Jim" a chance like they did my husband.

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2010, 03:39:59 pm »
Kath and I hope so too. It's alright being on a better benefit but its better to have a job where one can get a basic + overtime then you can get extras Like beef on Sunday and a pint all sorts To say nothing of new shoes and such.That MP that lived on basic so-ch: for a week did people like "Jim" no favours at all ??? :farmer:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

Annie22

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Hoddles Creek
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2010, 02:04:21 am »
The politicians should try a year, I am sure benefits would increase well no there would be some excuse.  We weren't entitled to benefits, but at least we have a house to sell if necessary.

Annie22

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Hoddles Creek
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2010, 05:13:31 am »
I have just been watching UK Wife Swap, I know it is only television and they maybe actors?  There was a couple in Rochdale on benefits with 8 children, their after tax income was 37,000 pound a year, while the couple who both worked their after tax income was 27,000 pounds.  If this is true I think poor Jim needs to start asking questions.  There was no mention they were actively looking for work, the husband had been out of work for two years, if he is actively looking for work fair enough.  I think there should be added incentive for people like Jim who are genuinely trying.

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2010, 08:37:33 am »
Well today is the day Anne-Marie Please if its a hung parliament can I pull the handle?Since Syd Dearnley is now dead.

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2010, 09:09:01 am »
Well today is the day Anne-Marie Please if its a hung parliament can I pull the handle?Since Syd Dearnley is now dead.

And can I watch! ;D

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2010, 09:37:38 am »
Yes lass I'll even let you have a go theres plenty of them. :D ;D :farmer:

Annie22

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Hoddles Creek
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2010, 12:03:40 pm »
Apparently labour didn't get enough votes to mandate and the conservatives are looking at getting into parliament.  Sorry Wizard I don't know who Syd Dearnley is.  Not much for pollies as they all seem to promise the world and give nothing.  The worst politician we had was Jeff Kennett the Victorian Premier.  He sold off schools closed down hospitals and I know this can be a sore point but he took away the workers right to sue for negligence, but the next Premier brought it back in a limited capacity.  I don't go for any party just a reasonable leader, but I don't believe there has been a decent leader here since Menzies.  Anyway I hope the new Government is willing to govern well, that is all we can hope for.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS