Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Quad bike flail mower  (Read 7795 times)

90driver

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Independent Land Rover Specialst
Quad bike flail mower
« on: May 02, 2016, 11:21:37 am »
Hi all,

Does anyone have any experience of ATV flail mowers ?

I currently need to replace my old votex topper and am thinking the ATV flails are more maneuverable and I can get right under the trees with them.

Any recommendations?

Thanks

philcaegrug

• Joined Jul 2012
  • ammanford
Re: Quad bike flail mower
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2016, 09:09:05 pm »
I've had a Logic flail for about 10 years and can't fault it.  A bit slow cutting rush but if done regularly works well.

90driver

• Joined Mar 2013
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2016, 07:53:14 pm »
Thanks for that.

On your recommendation I "won" a logic flail topper on ebay, which turned out to be a scam. Luckily no money changed hands but as the season is progressing I have ordered a Wessex flail mower. I look forward to putting it to work, hopefully before the grass gets too long.

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2016, 07:59:49 pm »
We have just got a Wessex and it seems OK We haven't used it much yet but it seems OK so far. Bit pricey :-( but we've got rushes +++ so needed something with a bit of muscle. What OH likes about it is that to can offset the mower to either side so it gets right to the edge of areas without taking the wheel arches off!!
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

90driver

• Joined Mar 2013
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2016, 05:47:51 pm »
Picked my one up today. And yes they are a bit expensive but it is very well made and has the bigger engine. 

I put it together and towed it round the field behind the Landrover and it did a great job on the grass and thick nettles.

Looking forward to tackling the heavy stuff behind the quad of the weekend.

st

• Joined Apr 2016
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2016, 10:17:41 pm »
I have a Rancher All-Rounder Pro with a 13hp engine! Bloody good. You can undo the wheel and put them on behind so you can get right up to the hedges. I said to them I'd post to AS the video they have on their site so here it is http://rancheratv.co.uk/atv-mower/

Swn y Mor

• Joined Aug 2017
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2017, 08:29:37 pm »
Just bought a Wessex 120 Flail that I tow behind a Honda Fourtrax.
We have 1 1/2 acres, mainly bracken and this year Himalayan Balsam (Evil plant). The first time I tried it the flails were set quite high as the bracken in places is as tall as me, 6ft. Because the Quad is narrower than the flail it just tends to flatten it however, a broken fern is as good as cut.
I will lower the flail when i've worked out where the rocks and gorse bushes are but so far it works well. My only nigle so far is with the 'kill switch', because I have tall bracken the first day I used it something caught the curly wire and dragged it under the flail, mashing the wire and damaging the switch (Wessex please note).
I solved this by attaching a 3ft pole to the flagpole mount on the quad, re-wired the switch and attached to the top of the pole. Problem solved. All in all a good peice of kit that will certainly get some use on our patch of shang ri la.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2017, 08:22:02 am »
Very interesting, I was wondering if there was something of the suchwhich.  Off to google....

Ouch.  Not cheap, are they!   :o.   I could have our local friendly farmer with his tractor and topper for 120 hours for that, not sure I can justify it for us.  :(.   
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 08:30:05 am by SallyintNorth »
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS