Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Poor old girl ..... Any useful tips  (Read 8844 times)

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
Poor old girl ..... Any useful tips
« on: May 01, 2016, 09:52:18 pm »
About 3 weeks ago, a poor old cat turned up on our patio. In a terrible state. Wheezing, wounds on head, bedraggled and painfully thin. I rang the
local cat rescue for advice. They kindly said to bring her to them. We have visited her there and yesterday they thought that she was well enough to come home with us. We are hoping that she maybe able to live here with our crew. She is much better already. She had a chest infection which has been treated with antibiotics and decongestants. It is much better but she still snuffles and sneezes a bit. Apparently the vet said that the snuffle may remain and she may get wheezy at times. Her wounds are healed and she has gained nearly 1kg in weight so far. Her coat is very poor and feels dirty and sort of greassey. She is grooming now and the rescue have tried to groom her as much as they can. She is still quote delicate and has a way to go but we are hopeful that she will be able to cope here .... It is a busy house with two teenagers, two big dogs for her to contend with and an established cat already here. She is living in a large crate with lots of supervised time out in the kitchen and dining room for now. Will introduce her to other critters slowly to keep stress down.

Any tips  on how to help her gain condition? .... Especially her coat which feels so dirty.

She has a lot to cope with here but the rescue will have her back if necessary. I don't think she would find a home easily though so desperate to help her get as well as she can for an old lady.

Thank you in advance.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
Re: Poor old girl ..... Any useful tips
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2016, 10:36:31 pm »
Fish oils would be good for the coat, thjis may be of some help? http://www.petforums.co.uk/threads/is-there-a-build-up-formula-for-my-skinny-cat.25466/ Fresh meat would be good for her too. http://www.catnutrition.org/foodmaking.html Here is something else which may be worth a read? I would say fresh meat and plenty of omega 3's, IE fish oils. I sometimes give my cat tinned sardines which he seems to enjoy, in plain tomato sauce not the spicy type. Try also and get hold of some fish oil tablets http://www.healthspan.co.uk/vetvits/cat-supplements/glossy-coat-omega-for-cats-and-dogs This might be worth trying in her food. Hope this helps and could you keep us updated on how you get on with her?
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2016, 11:05:27 pm »
And very well done for rescuing her.  I hope she recovers well enough for her to enjoy her retirement with you.  I presume her owners haven't been found? They may be old too and were unable to look after her properly
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2016, 12:34:29 am »
Did they worm her?  A stark coat is often a sign of worms.
I gave mine sardines in oil (rather than tomato sauce).  Raw egg in small quantities, whisked with milk, could also help her coat - when my dogs are especially glossy I know they've been stealing eggs - but not so much egg she would add constipation to her woes.
It sounds as though she just needs a quiet, warm  and comfy few weeks to convalesce, as cat rescues and kennels are notoriously noisy.  I would hold off introducing her to your other animals, as they can sense illness and could attack her.  Once she is fully well is soon enough to introduce her.
Sounds as if she's used one of her 9 lives, 8 more to go  :thumbsup:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2016, 09:26:59 am »
Thank you Wbf for spending time to find those links. Already had a read through.

Sardines are top of tomorrow's shopping list, Wbf and Fleecewife.

Well Doganjo, I'll be honest and say I wouldn't have been out searching for any other cat let alone a little old ragamuffin! She found us though and so will try our best for her. She is lying at my feet now and very fussy .... All other animals are out and about so quiet and safe for her. We are playing musical animals at the moment. She isn't chipped and the rescue said they would do searches for any cats reported missing. She must have travelled miles. We are in the middle of nowhere really and she isnt a barn or hedge cat .... Obviously a domesticated mog. Rescue said that she would have been pushed out of territories by the ferals and picked up infections so unable to hunt.

Coastie

• Joined Mar 2015
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2016, 09:50:13 am »
We had an old lady :cat: turn up here in a pitiful condition. It was very rewarding seeing her turn around into a relaxed and happy puss even though we had a few toilet problems.  As the weather warms up she will shed the old coat and gentle grooming will help. Well done for taking her in, rescues are full of old cats  :'(

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2016, 04:43:35 pm »
Arrr.  Coastie , that has given us hope. Thank you.

Fw ... Yes, she was treated with Stronghold initially and then with Drontal.

We planned to keep her separate from the other animals for quite a while so as not to stress her but she was determined to come out of her crate today despite the dogs being nearby. Hissed at them and batted and they both ran away. Strolled through the house like she belonged and has demanded so much love and attention! Back in her crate now to rest quietly.

Sardines ordered.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2016, 05:30:52 pm »
Love it, in the hills.  Definitely got 8 more lives to go  :cat: :cat: :cat: :cat: :cat: :cat: :cat: :cat:

Where's the photie - we have to have a photie  :yippee:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2016, 07:36:33 pm »
Thank you for rescuing her. Sounds like she knows she's landed on her feet - she will repay you a thousand fold.

Some pics would be good  :cat:

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2016, 08:07:51 pm »
Sounds like she will be top cat in no time :cat: :love: .

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2016, 12:32:16 am »
I echo what others have said, well done for rehoming her. So many old cats get stuck in rescues.

As for the coat, we took in a young feral cat from our rescue. Her coat (once I could get close enough to stroke her) felt like wire. After a while of feeling safe, getting lots of strokes and eating dry and wet food as much as she liked her coat is now silky.

Look forward to hearing updates on your girl, I'm sure she'll be one of the family in no time.

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2016, 07:00:52 pm »
In The Hills, my Ma would tell you "that's a star in your crown!" Hope she lives long and brings you happiness. The dear of her!

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2016, 05:07:22 pm »
A sad update I'm afraid. Our poor old Tabitha Twitchit was put to sleep at the end of last week. A suspicious looking and rapidly growing lump was discovered under her chin. Treated initially as an abscess but did not respond to treatment. Different vet seen who feared it was something more sinister and threatening to take her lip. Needed removing but not easy due to position. Blood tests prior to surgery revealed initial stages of kidney failure and if that wasn't bad enough also feline aids which vet believed to be at an advanced stage. No real option so sadly agreed to let her go.

Well, all I can say is that she was loved, warm and well fed for her final few weeks. Had her such a short time but still crying about it now. Wish I could be less emotional about animals.Always find the end so hard. :'(

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2016, 05:10:55 pm »
 :hug:

At least she was safe, loved and cared for for her last few months.   

Losing one will always hurt, I think, if you cared about them.   :hug:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2016, 05:29:12 pm »
 :hug:
Which is what you meant for a poor old cat when it was needed

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS