Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: The amazing escaping pig !  (Read 2807 times)

HappyHippy

The amazing escaping pig !
« on: April 29, 2010, 05:40:03 pm »
You'd think with 2 ladies to keep him occupied my lovely little Kune kune boar would be happy in his field - you'd be WRONG ! He decided to go walkabout today, right past my neighbour's newly gelded pony, cue panicked pony and owner and lots of blood  :-[ (NOT a good move  :o) So with only 6 weeks before I'm due to give birth, no hubby about and 20 minutes before I had to collect the kids from school - off I went merrily chasing him through fields and eventually got him into the garden - where I thought he'd be confined - WRONG again ! He pushed through the fencing and decided to fall through the rotten floor of the shed to the ground below (actually I think he must be one of those flying pigs cos unbelievably there's not a mark on him and he trotted quite happily back up to the field !) We then spent 20 minutes fixing and checking all the fencing in the field and stood back to admire our handywork as he pushed another couple of stabs out the way and came out under the fence !  ::) ::) ::) So, an hour later with a totally knackered hubby and me sweating heavily we THINK he's secure now  ???
And they say Kune kune's are easy to keep lol ! I'll NEVER get a Tamworth  ;)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: The amazing escaping pig !
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 06:14:07 pm »
Love his house! ;D

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 08:40:03 pm »
He he he Rosemary - the kids were NOT impressed that he was in the garden and I thought my ear drums were going to burst from all the shouts of 'He's eating my bike' 'Oh no he's in my house' and the best one of all 'what if he goes on the trampolene' - knowing Syd he'd probably quite enjoy that !  ;)

daniellestocks

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Nr Pickering, North Yorkshire
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 09:10:25 pm »
and the best one of all 'what if he goes on the trampoline' - knowing Syd he'd probably quite enjoy that !  ;)
Now that i would love to see!!!!
The joys of keeping animals! I was forever chasing escapee pony's when i was heavily pregnant at least you will sleep well tonite lol  ;D

Grasshopper30

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 06:54:40 pm »
Hi, sounds like a nightmare, we have Tamworths that try to escape at any and every possible occasion. One thing we have found is putting a single strand of barbed wire at the bottom of the fencing tends to stop them most of the time. Could you try a similar ploy (you may well have already done this?) We now have stock-fences with barbed-wire, plus a couple of strands of electric fencing, and they currently seem ok!  ::)

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2010, 07:06:54 am »
Our tamworths would jump the fence rather than burrow underneath.  Fortunately the Gossies dont!!!

ukag0972

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Argyll
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2010, 11:58:13 am »
I'm loving it!!!

You need to rule him with a fist of fury!!!

I'll be laughing about this all day!!

HappyHippy

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2010, 02:14:50 pm »
Ah Lee - he's way to cute for that  ;)
It's the easiest getting back in I've experienced - a bucket with a banana in it was all it took  ;D
Now that ALL the fence is lined with barbed wire I'm sure hoping he'll be confined  ::) It wasn't done initially as both hubby and father were of the opinion that "they're just little pigs - you won't need the wire" Duh ! Think they might be starting to realise I DO know what I'm talking about (and I'll be making sure they don't forget it ! lol  ::))

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS