Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Old sows  (Read 3029 times)

Jackie

• Joined Nov 2009
Old sows
« on: May 05, 2010, 07:02:41 am »
Just a passing thought but do you eat old sows after they have finished producing for you?

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
Re: Old sows
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 07:06:17 am »
But of course Jackie some me for one think the meat is tastier :D :farmer:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 07:08:42 am »
Over here they get sent off on the "cosh", you get about a euro per kilo d.w.  They are turned into sausages. 
Bet they would make great bacon as well.  Long slow cooking for the joints.  Only drawback would be the v. large hams - you would need a big saucepan to cook them in.   :yum:

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2010, 09:05:24 am »
I havent had a sow long enough to answer knowledgeably! my heart says no I couldnt eat her, but my head says what a waste! :pig:

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2010, 10:48:55 am »
Dixie dear Things like Lincolnshire Stuffed Chine are made from such a pig.When the pig is killed it is hung up to set When the butcher comes back he cuts the carcass into 3 pieces a left flitch close to the backbone with front leg and rear leg attached then down the other side of the spine the same.The bit of spine is chopped into nice portions The piece where the front shoulders are attached is known as the Christening Chine always at the party after baby was christened was a stuffed chine.Your sow will probably weigh as much as 3 bacon pigs so think How big a ham will be.Some one said about a big pan No need you cut the corner off first and soak it all day and change the water and over night to remove the salt then boil it.Next time you cut a square from next to and so on until it is all gone  :( :'( :farmer
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS