Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ewe doesn't like her lamb  (Read 1900 times)

Helen Wiltshire Horn

• Joined Apr 2014
Ewe doesn't like her lamb
« on: April 27, 2016, 08:22:10 am »
I have a ewe who had a single boy this time, having successfully reared twin lambs last year.  The problem is that she doesn't seem very keen on it and butts him out of the way or moves off when it is trying to feed.  I turned them out at 24 hours old as it had been a straightforward birth and I thought that she was just displaying this behaviour whilst we were watching.  Anyway, on checking at twilight I see the lamb at the far end of the field, clearly hungry and looking for Mum who was happily grazing at the other end (he took quite a bit of Lamlac whilst I caught Mum).  I penned them up and have seen him feed as his Mum isn't able to go far and I bet the fact that she has plenty of milk makes it uncomfortable if he doesn't feed.  Anyway, any ideas or suggestions?   I would prefer for her to be out on grass rather than inside eating hay.  I am just really not sure why she has taken a dislike to him.  He seems a normal lamb and obviously has been feeding from her or he wouldn't be alive (he was born early on Sunday). 
Helen

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
Re: Ewe doesn't like her lamb
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2016, 08:30:22 am »
Keep them penned long enough for ewe to bond with lamb properly.
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2016, 08:41:15 am »
I agree with Backinwellies

lesbri

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2016, 08:43:56 am »
Ive had this with the same ewe 2 years running. Both years she has had twins and both years she has liked one more than the other. Ive found just penning them up together for a couple of days, holding the ewe to let the disliked one feed if necessary does the trick. Both years the disliked lamb has discovered that he can feed quite happily from behind whilst the favoured lamb is feeding in the usual position! Good luck!! 

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2016, 12:41:38 pm »
Yes keep in a pen until you are happy she's  talking to the lamb then let her out in to a big space and see if she's still ok , THEN  in the field .      rare for singles to do this mostly twins hating one .              For me personally I would cull her and definitely LESBRI'S ewe

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2016, 01:57:41 pm »
I have home made adopters for this situation but we've not needed them for several years as it's yet another trait that I cull for.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS