Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Trouble with Incubation  (Read 5963 times)

JedM

• Joined Aug 2014
  • East Anglia
Trouble with Incubation
« on: April 25, 2016, 07:18:47 am »
Hi, I have recently hatched some eggs in my brinsea incubator, and the fertility was great when I candled after 2 weeks.  But only a few of the fertile eggs hatched, and when I cracked the other eggs open, they all had big chicks in them which looked fully formed so I'm presuming they must have died in the last few days.
What would be causing the chicks to die?  The incubator has stayed at the same temperature, but I struggled to get the humidity above 60%. 

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
Re: Trouble with Incubation
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2016, 07:28:58 am »
Sorry to hear this, such a shame when it doesn't work out well.
I put soaked sponges in plastic pots at the sides of the eggs to get the humidity up higher.
Better luck next time x

JedM

• Joined Aug 2014
  • East Anglia
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2016, 07:54:15 am »
Thanks Steph hen.
The sponges sound a good idea.  Did you put the sponges in just in the last few days of incubation?
Humidity was between 45-55% all 3 weeks.

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2016, 10:40:09 am »

Which Brinsea is it, the mini or a bigger one? Sounds like you have an octagon or so? Did you use an independent thermometer and hygrometer?

In the octagon, I spread tissue paper over the bottom (so under the black tray) but draped into the water slots, so it soaks water up and then the wet surface area is so much greater. Then I top it up with water using a crop feeding tube and a syringe throug the air hole at the top (remember to keep that one open even during the last days) to keep it at 65-70%, but then again humidity in our house is really low so I need to top it up a lot.

With the octagon, it is very important to not open the incubator at all during the last few days, as even if the humidity goes up again very quickly the little draft of dry air has already dried out the membrane a bit and the moist air doesn't undo that.

It's so annoying when they don't hatch at the end, isn't it, I always feel sorry for the little chicks that don't make it. :(

JedM

• Joined Aug 2014
  • East Anglia
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2016, 11:06:44 am »
That's great Eve, thank you!  I am about to set another batch of eggs so I will try your method using tissue paper.  I do have an octagon 20 but it is the older version.  It doesn't show what the humidity is so I have a separate gadget which tells me this.

Mine has 4 air holes at the bottom but none at the top.  I lift the lid off the incubator twice a day in the last week to spray the eggs.  Is this not necessary if the humidity is high enough?  I was told that spraying the eggs with water softens the shell which makes it easier for the chicks to hatch.

greengumbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2016, 11:07:29 am »
We have an octagon and had the same trouble. I was told to keep humidity about 45-55% during first three weeks then ramp it up once turning stops.

I ended up saving about 7 out of the 8 who pipped but never got any further by being super careful in removing shell / membrane over a day or so with tiny tweezers and egg wrapped in damp warm cloth.

I have now started incubating in the brinsea but swapping to a still air incubator at hatch. I think the forced fan ones seem to dry out the membranes too much.

Its all a bit of a learning curve but nothing more annoying than taking eggs to near hatch and then the large chicks not emerging.

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2016, 12:14:26 pm »
Were the dead chicks soggy or dry? Most problems I had with my Octagons were too much humidity. I put no water in now until day 18 and then fill the channels and lock down. 90% of what is fertile hatches. Your chicks may be drowning when they pip.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2016, 12:42:05 pm »
Were the dead chicks soggy or dry? Most problems I had with my Octagons were too much humidity. I put no water in now until day 18 and then fill the channels and lock down. 90% of what is fertile hatches. Your chicks may be drowning when they pip.

Same here. They probably drowned in the shell. Even more difficult for goose eggs...

JedM

• Joined Aug 2014
  • East Anglia
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2016, 01:25:58 pm »
There might have been too much humidity as I kept the channels full, but the humidity was staying at about 50% which I thought was about right for the first 18 days.
On the next lot, I will try leaving the channels empty and then using the damp tissue paper method for the last 3 days.  Would this be a better way?

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2016, 01:37:47 pm »
Shaun Hammon of the Wernlas Collection (now retired) told me they never added water in their incubators as it made the chicks too big to turn inside the egg and pip properly.  I have an old Octagon and haven't added water for the last couple of dozen hatches.  One or two generally fail to pip but the success rate of the fertile eggs is good overall.

waddy

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2016, 02:06:21 pm »
I likewise have had difficulty finding the line between too much humidity and too little. I never put water in the channels of my octagon 20 until day 18 although I have a humidity pump which does add some. I tend to incubate most eggs at 40% RH but monitor the air sac/weights when I candle to make sure the chicks have enough room to hatch. Hen chicks need to lose about 11% of their weight. I have found thicker shelled eggs such as dark brown Maran eggs may need slightly lower humidity to dry out enough; but I will incubate my Wyandotte and Cream Legbar eggs at 45% otherwise the chicks will be too dry and shrink wrapped. At day 18 I fill both channels and put a cloth as a wick from the channels across the base to increase humidity. I set the humidity control at 75% but be aware if you open the incubator for any reason the humidity will drop suddenly and could compromise the hatch no matter what your readout says. The fan on the octagons does tend to rapidly dry the membranes sometimes making hatching difficult. I have just bought an old still air Polyhatch to use as a hatcher. If I do have to go in I will leave another cloth soaked in water boiled and cooled down to about the right temperature to rapidly boost the humidity. Be aware if you do go in the others are much more likely to need help. It is best not to open if you can help it. I have just had a Brahma hatch. The RH was 40% but although they pipped only the first one hatched himself. The others had not quite enough room so could have done with a degree or two less humidity. I did manage to get seven out of eight out successfully (going very slowly and carefully; gently enlarging the pip hole and moistening the membranes; letting the chicks finish off themselves) although the last has required a lot of TLC to get him going.

Good luck with your next lot!

:fc:
Helen

JedM

• Joined Aug 2014
  • East Anglia
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2016, 07:13:54 am »
Thanks for the useful replies!

Shaun Hammon of the Wernlas Collection (now retired) told me they never added water in their incubators as it made the chicks too big to turn inside the egg and pip properly.

I have set the second batch of eggs yesterday, with no water in the channels, and the humidity is at 19%.  Should I ignore this or does it need to be higher at this early stage?

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2016, 06:45:03 pm »
19% is far, far too low. The air in most people's houses or outbuildings usually has a lot more humidity and that's why for some incubating dry for the first two and a half weeks is viable, but if the air in the room your incubator in is so dry then you need to add water as in the incubator it only gets drier, the incubator is not the same as a live animal sitting on slightly damp ground.
At 19% the egg will loose too much moisture (osmosis), the air cell will consequently be too large which leaves the embryo with not enough space to grow, so come hatching time it will be small and weak.

The incubators Shaum Hammon referred to must have been in a room with ample moisture in the air to get away with not adding any water at all. Unfortunately those advocating incubating dry hardly ever mention that their incubator's environment is one with sufficient humidity (they often don't even realise it), which puts novices on the wrong path. Luckily many people incubate in warmer months when humidity is higher anyway.

Waddy is right with how opening the incubator affects hatching, even a very short draft of dry air dries out that thin membrane and extra moist air doesn't compensate to re-soften the membrane again.

JayR, as it's only day 1 don't panic, though, just top it up today  :)  You'll find that with better weather (promised for the weekend?) humidity in the room will go up automatically, which helps. I've just hatched 19 out of 20 eggs last week and have the Mini and the Octagon full again now. Busy days  :excited:

JedM

• Joined Aug 2014
  • East Anglia
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2016, 07:12:28 am »
I thought it sounded too low  ;)  so last night I put a small amount of water in the channels, and humidity has shot up to 60%!!  I think that may be too high now, hopefully I'll get it sorted soon.  I have used your method Eve, and put 2 clothes in the bottom draped into the channels - maybe the water spread too far at this stage  ???
I will keep the lid closed as much as possible!

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2016, 07:44:37 am »

I have used your method Eve, and put 2 clothes in the bottom draped into the channels - maybe the water spread too far at this stage  ???
I will keep the lid closed as much as possible!

I would have thought this would have been just for the final hatching stage?  I'd take out the cloths for now. You also don't need to worry much about opening the incubator At the moment - after all, the hen gets off her eggs once or twice a day, and they do get quite cold in this time. It's the last 3-4 days that you need to keep it really moist and stable.  During the

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS