Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ooh, bantam chicks are hatching .......  (Read 2060 times)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
Ooh, bantam chicks are hatching .......
« on: May 04, 2010, 01:37:39 pm »
I had them down to hatch today/tomorrow, but last night I  could hear a strong cheeping from under one of the sitting bantams.  I have just peered into the cat crate where she is sitting, and there is definitely one little head peeping out at me.....hopefully not going to be the only one.  I am hopeful as the bantam is still sitting tight!!!

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
Re: Ooh, bantam chicks are hatching .......
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 11:11:46 am »
Hatched 5 out of 7 eggs.  I thought I was pushing my luck putting that many under her, as she was only hatched herself last year, and some of the younger ones get fed up of sitting and go off broody half way through.  But she has done well.  Very cold here, so chicks have only been out briefly and she has taken them all back into their cat carrier.  Same cat carrier she mother hen was hatched in last year.

See how many the next hatch brings.  I love waiting to see what colours the chicks will be, as I put a mix of eggs from my various bantams and silkies under the hens.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 02:11:24 pm »
That's lovely, Roxy - remember the photos!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2010, 07:39:49 pm »
ooohh!! well done banty hen!
Little Blue

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2010, 11:40:51 pm »
Aww...they are so cute when that small.  Mother had them out all afternoon, scratching about in the pen.  OMG....I had forgotten from last year just how messy things get with chicks.  Mum was scratching, and the soil was going in the water feeder, and food dish.  They all marched in the cat carrier just on dark!!

Cannot remember whose eggs went under the bantie......3 are yellow and two are black at the moment.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS