Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: first year the best  (Read 1805 times)

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
first year the best
« on: May 04, 2010, 07:55:10 pm »
just read on someones elses post about laying, it was saying that layers lay best in their first year and then
it goes down by 25%.
is this right?
if so my frustration at my chucks may be explained as ours seem to be laying less.
we have nine girls and we got them in may last year.
they are a hybrid ' lohman brown ' hen.
we are only getting 5- 8 eggs now been a while since we had 8 though.
langdon :chook:
Langdon ;)

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
Re: first year the best
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 09:01:42 pm »
I'll be interested to hear what others say too. 

I got my hens in March last year and I thought I'd read somewhere that the second year is their most productive, or was it the 2nd year they were bigger eggs.

I have 18 girls and I'm getting around 15 eggs a day at the moment, which I'm more than happy with.  I think there was only 1 or 2 days in the summer last year that I had 18 eggs.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 09:03:18 pm by JulieS »
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

kingnigel

• Joined May 2009
  • Gainsborough
  • www.zabalaz.co.uk
    • Zabalaz Siberian Huskies
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 09:10:05 pm »
ours are in there first year and are laying 3 or 4 eggs per day, we have 4 hens marans.
most days we get 4 eggs so we are happy with that.
we also have 24 eggs in the incubator so even more for breakfast next year ;D if they hatch
kn

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2010, 07:47:48 am »
My black rocks and sussex are in their 2nd year and the sussex is now laying paper shells and the black rocks have had a very long break over winter and are now laying almost daily.
My newer girls are laying daily as my old ones did last year so in a nutshell, the first year was the best year for mine.
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2010, 11:15:35 am »
Pullets, the first years layers do lay very well in that first year.  But I do not agree that things go downhill from then on!!  My battery hens for example, some are 3-4 years old, and all are still laying at full capacity - they are free range.  I have found that the pure bred do not lay as good as the hybrid hens at all.  I had some marans, and the eggs were lovely being dark brown, but they definitely did not lay anywhere near as many eggs per year.

As I said my hens are laying very well, as are another lady who got some ex batteries from us.  Yet two other people nearby have moaned and groaned their ex batts have not been good, and are only just starting to lay again after the winter.  I suppose its like anything, there are good and bad.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS