Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sheep with a cut lip  (Read 1975 times)

CarolineJ

• Joined Dec 2015
  • North coast of Scotland
Sheep with a cut lip
« on: April 22, 2016, 09:20:48 am »
Very alarmed last night to see one of my ewes with blood all round her muzzle.  Cleaned her up and it looks like she's managed to stab or scratch herself (probably a run-in with a gorse bush) on the flat bit between her nostril and her top lip.  This morning she had a clean face and I thought we were all good, but on closer inspection, it's still bleeding very slightly - I think she's knocking the scab off as she grazes. 

There's nothing still stuck in there, that I can see, no lumps or bumps, just this tiny area that's very slowly oozing blood.  She's her normal self otherwise, grazing happily and mugging me for sheep nuts.  I've cleaned it up again - anything I can do to help it heal or just keep a close eye on her and let nature do its job?

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: Sheep with a cut lip
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2016, 09:37:46 am »
If you have any wound spray in your (human) first aid kit you could try that.  It could well seep for a while as that area moves constantly as they chew and cud, but provided it doesn't ooze pus or start to look inflamed it should dry up in a day or so.

CarolineJ

• Joined Dec 2015
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2016, 10:30:04 am »
Thank you, MF - shopping run into town tomorrow, so I can pick some up if it's still oozing.

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2016, 04:41:12 pm »
Keep an eye out for flies, but I don't think it's warm enough yet.

BenBhoy

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Nottinghamshire
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2016, 07:18:22 am »
Bit of blue spray. They don't love it on nose but soon get over it, like treating orf  (secondary infection)

CarolineJ

• Joined Dec 2015
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2016, 01:57:55 pm »
Many thanks for all the suggestions, it has, thankfully, finally stopped overnight.  Which is a good thing, because when I popped into the vet on Saturday to pay my bill and asked them if they had any advice, their suggestion was a dab of superglue and that could well have got messy!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS