Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Question about rhubarb  (Read 3442 times)

valr

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Brightons nr Falkirk
Question about rhubarb
« on: May 03, 2010, 08:42:20 pm »
Sorry to keep pestering you with questions! ::)

I have a very young rhubarb plant I got from a friend last year. I stuck it in a pot and forgot about it and now there are two stalks and leaves so I had bettter find a spot for it!

I have a shady area beside a wall - would it do ok there do you think?

Also is it true that you are not suppposed to cut the stalks the first year? If so do I just leave it to die down?  ???

Thanks for any advice.

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
Re: Question about rhubarb
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 09:34:35 pm »
Hello Vair There is a fair Rhubarb patch in the walled garden Which Tom covers with crew yard manure at the end of winter  and it is on the south side of the north wall Tom told me not to pull any for a couple of years let it get well established first This I have done and there is 12 stalks from the original 1 2years ago and I will put it in a larger box when it has died down later and start to use it next year,Got a few stalks to make a crumble to make a pud with today after having the rest of yesterdays duck fried crispy Chinese style with lemon sauce It turned out exceedingly good just like Mr Kipling says.I don't rate Mr Kipling cake at all myself though :D :farmer:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 11:02:12 pm »
Hi,

Yes you are not supposed to pick from it the first year- not sure why exactly but that's what "they" say. I meant to pick some rhubarb today and I forgot- will have to do it tomorrow instead!

You aren't supposed to let rhubarb plants flower either, so if it does, just cut the flower off.

A shady spot by the wall sounds ok- our biggest patches of rhubarb are in quite a shady spot at the bottom of the veggie patch.

Beth

valr

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Brightons nr Falkirk
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 09:09:36 am »
Thanks Wizard and Beth - I'll stick it by the wall and leave it in peace for a while!
I quite like the French Fancies, Wizard. ;)

Sandy

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2010, 09:20:05 pm »
Love the stuff and think it's strange how expensive it is in supermarkets!! I have planted some but its far too dry wher I put it so the chickens use it as a dust bath...Rhubard to me is better than most fruits!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2010, 10:10:38 pm »
Yes you are not supposed to pick from it the first year- not sure why exactly but that's what "they" say.
Not sure who 'they' are or why 'they' say that either, but I took some of my rhubarb last year and it was fine, and the plant didn't seem to suffer.  Anyone know why you're not supposed to take the first year's stalks?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2010, 10:49:50 pm »
I have done this as well and not had any problems, mine was in large tubs but now planted in the garden and doing fine. :)

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2010, 12:28:15 am »
the not picking the 1st year, is to do with letting the plant settle in and establish itself , and to let all the energy and nutrients that are in the leaves and stalks , return to the root system and build up strength for following years. You should do the same with comfrey . 
 Plants allowed to settle this way, will be stronger and last longer on the whole .
 'They' are usually people that have grown it for many years , and know by experience what is the best way to treat the plant .  ;D ;D
 I have done it both ways , left it without picking any till it was really going well, 2-3 years , and , picked it first year . In the main ...'They' were right .  ::) ;D ;D

cheers

Russ

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2010, 07:50:38 am »
They.Annie love are us that know by years of experience RHUBARB does better if the root is cut and the piece that is cut off planted .Then the next year is just left to grow the planted piece I mean.Should you grow Pink Champagne from seed let it develop 3 yrs minimum :D :farmer:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS