Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What to do with this hole?  (Read 1871 times)

egbert

• Joined Jan 2010
What to do with this hole?
« on: March 16, 2010, 05:17:00 pm »
I have spent the weekend pulling out a disused pond form my garden - it was put in years ago and then abandoned when the other half was a lot younger (before my time here) and then his parents chucked in some long grass/reed thing that immediately started seeding itself and taking over the garden.

So the OH and I spent a good 4 hours cutting up and pulling out the huge and very heavy tangle of roots, to find a large stagnant pool full of snails at the bottom - the plastic preformed liner was still in. Removed that, and been back to check today and all the water has drained away finally.

So now I have a hole in the garden about 4ft x 8 ft wide and 4 ft deep - its right in front of the raised beds and in the next to the play area of the lawn - but far enough into the lawn to be noticeable. So any suggestions of what to do with it? No ponds!

At the moment the options seem to be to fill it in and then 1. grass it over, 2. slab it and put a bench on, 3. grow something.

But its a bit too far into the garden to be a discreet veg bed, so any suggestions of how to make it into a feature - or some truly gorgeous plants to put in?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: What to do with this hole?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 08:48:55 pm »
A sunken garden - italian type, with lots of low sensory/scented plants and a seating area.  Maybe a thyme covered seat? mand perhaps a relaxing non-pond water feature ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Sandy

Re: What to do with this hole?
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010, 09:23:18 pm »
I had a s unken garden in my past life but it went wild!!!! What about a water garden???/ I want to dig up our small pond and put a BIG pond, I know I can do it but I have so many other things to do. Idealy I would make it easy to drain and clean and shallow, maybe a foot deep!!!! You may also consider a Bar b area, slab it and it may look good!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS