Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Fox problem  (Read 3255 times)

Remy

• Joined Dec 2011
Fox problem
« on: April 18, 2016, 06:27:16 pm »
I have foxes locally who come every year this time and either take or kill lambs.  Every year I've lost some to the fox.  This year it had taken one large triplet, then no more for a week.

Yesterday a ewe had two large twins who were up and healthy.  This morning I went to inspect them and one of the twins was covered in blood on its neck.  I thought for a moment the mother hadn't licked all the birth fluids away then saw it was fresh blood and found some puncture wounds both sides of its neck.

It was thin and weak and so I took them all in and have cleaned it up and given it an AB jab.  I've also tubed it as it just doesn't seem able to find the teat, and when I've tried to put the teat in its mouth it doesn't do anything, doesn't suckle at all.  I'll keep trying and topping it up as necessary.

However the blood has been oozing all day, is there anything I can do to try and stop the flow of blood?

1 horse, 2 ponies, 4 dogs, 2 Kune Kunes, a variety of sheep

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
Re: Fox problem
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2016, 07:07:26 pm »
Vet, good luck x

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2016, 11:49:17 pm »
Yes, get the vet out. The injuries may well be worse than they first appear.

Hope the poor mite makes it!

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2016, 11:58:53 pm »
Keep us posted  :fc: :hugsheep:
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2016, 01:10:17 pm »
I have lambs every year attacked and it takes a lot of treatment to keep them going , any that survive have problems for ever .    killed for home use a 2ry old with permanent neck problem and slight balance issue and have a 1 yr old nearly the same .        Destroyed a lamb last week  one of twins flat out ,high temp  and a very swollen neck       

Remy

• Joined Dec 2011
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2016, 09:29:02 pm »
Well the bleeding dried up on its own the following day, and I have been nursing the little mite to try and get it suckling, from mum or the bottle!  She was weak and feeble and not interested in either, so I wasn't optimistic but today she has suddenly got the hang of the bottle and getting stronger with every feed.  Don't know if she will get back onto mum but so long as she rallies it doesn't really matter.  Time will tell if she has any lasting damage  :fc:
1 horse, 2 ponies, 4 dogs, 2 Kune Kunes, a variety of sheep

BenBhoy

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Nottinghamshire
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2016, 07:23:14 am »
And what happened to the fox??

In run up to lambing I got 6 in 3 weeks. Not had a single fox attack.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS