Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Weed Killer Advice Please.  (Read 5121 times)

LeeH

• Joined Jul 2015
Weed Killer Advice Please.
« on: April 18, 2016, 09:09:30 am »
Hi all, can somebody advise on a suitable selective weedkiller for the weeds in the photo.

I have been using Grazon Pro at a mild strength to treat the nettles, thistles and docks on my paddock to great effect.

But the wooded areas are alive with sticky weed and some sort of bracken that the Grazon won't touch.  I could up the dilution it you the Round Up Bio Active but would favour a selective killer.

Thanks. 

Lee.  :wave:

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
Re: Weed Killer Advice Please.
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2016, 09:26:53 am »
First one looks like Sheep's Parsley to me. Has lovely flowers, excellent for butterflies etc.  Let it flower then just cut it down.
Second one is Cleavers/Goosegrass.  Easiest way is to just pull it out - it comes out very easily.

If you have sheep (or chickens) they will eat up both.  Both have various health benefits to livestock.

Save your weedkiller for something else more deserving :) .

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2016, 11:36:14 am »
Firstly do you hold a sprayer certificate? 
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2016, 02:26:18 pm »
I believe you dont need to have any licence if you are not doing it commercially - all you can buy from the high street are products that are for non commercial use.

It is suggested that you are properly trained - but this can be by reading and understanding the label it comes with and abiding by it.

You could try using vinegar?  I have heard it works.  Or chuck a bit of carpet over it for a few weeks.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2016, 02:40:10 pm »
You need a licence to spray anything you can't buy in a garden centre type outlet.

All agricultural pesticides must now be sprayed by 'certified' persons. (you can still buy pesticides from ag merchants ... but not apply them without certificate.)
Linda

www.nantygroes.co.uk

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2016, 11:43:45 pm »
the first one looks like Silverweed it was a maze of underground roots that shoot up. I have a nightmare with this stuff here.

Dont know about the second one.

As for weeds like silverweed it spreads and travels.  You state wooded areas and alarm bells are ringing.  You may have a battle on and wonder if a more holistic management would be better. Unless you are keen to be spraying chemicals endlessly then you'll be doing more damage than good.  Composting, better overall management of the land etc.

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2016, 03:01:52 am »
Cleavers are pretty useful all stock will eat them with gusto.  Apparently they act as a liver tonic.  The seeds can be dried out and made into a chicory style coffee, not that I'd try it  :yuck:

Jullienne

• Joined Apr 2016
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2016, 09:12:23 am »
yes cleavers are a blood cleanser and sheep/cows love them especially. It might be a problem spraying with chemicals. Frank newman turner talks about green compost and so long as there are non poisoness weeds it might be good diggi g them into the soil as they will enrich the soil. Hope this helps and that you get it sorted soon! All the best and keep us updated? :thumbsup:
boast not yourself of tomorrow; for you know not what a day may bring forth. Let another man praise you, and not your own mouth; a stranger, and not your own lips. proverbs 27 verses 1-2.

farmershort

• Joined Nov 2010
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2016, 10:10:46 am »
I'd say that "blaster" is what you're after.... it's a brand name of one of the more common 4 letter acronym industrial weedkillers.... it's bloomin viscious, and it kills most things that aren't grass. sorry, I can't remember the 4 letter... MCPA or something like that?

be careful with it!!!!

failing that, spot treatment with roundup?

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2016, 12:17:57 pm »
I'd say that "blaster" is what you're after.... it's a brand name of one of the more common 4 letter acronym industrial weedkillers.... it's bloomin viscious, and it kills most things that aren't grass. sorry, I can't remember the 4 letter... MCPA or something like that?

be careful with it!!!!

...and both of these need a sprayer certificate
Linda

www.nantygroes.co.uk

farmershort

• Joined Nov 2010
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2016, 12:43:10 pm »

be careful with it!!!!

...and both of these need a sprayer certificate

yes, I think the cert thing has been covered pretty well above. Perhaps we can just let folk make their own choices now? They asked for weedkiller recommendations, not a lecture.... but agree that it was useful to point out the change in the law.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 08:11:43 am by farmershort »

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2016, 01:36:58 pm »
How big an area?  Don't let cleavers seed or it'll cover everything next year.  Silverweed is a thug.  It's been coming up through an area of tarmac at our place every year.  Fortunately the sheep seem to like it.  I'm a fan of old carpet/cardboard or feed sacks weighted down with stones for dense patches of weeds but not something you can do on a big scale.

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS