Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Unexpected costs of keeping sheep...  (Read 7185 times)

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
Re: Unexpected costs of keeping sheep...
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2016, 06:58:26 pm »
I have had a few unexpected costs of in calf buffalo this winter, a few of them had to be given an epidural due t prolapsing, due to inflamation. Vet bills are astronomical this year, just wondering how am gonna be able to pay em off, still the animals are all well which is the most important thing :)
I'm afraid vet bills are an essential and wholly expected part of keeping livestock, particularly breeding stock, entirely straying from the topic of "unexpected costs".

Keelan H

• Joined Mar 2016
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2016, 04:59:13 pm »
'FSMnutter' There's no need to have to slate the same person for anything he/she does. You're constantly picking which is just a waste of time, leave them be.

Blondie

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2016, 05:23:26 pm »

Also we just bought a much bigger car so she has more space when we go on car journeys.........

oh yes, I bought a ford focus estate purely for my gsd puppy. ha. expensive bitch but I love her dearly.

Well we traded in our old Ka for a zafira....... Tiny 3 door to a seven seater. Sometimes I wonder why we decided to get a retired greyhound rather than an Italian greyhound!

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2016, 05:46:32 pm »
I'm afraid vet bills are an essential and wholly expected part of keeping livestock, particularly breeding stock, entirely straying from the topic of "unexpected costs".
[/quote]

You are both right in my opinion, yes Vet bills are part of keeping livestock.  But most costs are predictable year on year so easier to budget for.  I have kept horses for 30 years and hardly saw a vet other than for annual vaccines but with sheep & goats and the horses getting older this last year me and the Vet are getting to know each other better.

Unexpected costs?  More like loss of earning from wasting spending too much time gazing and lambs and kids. 

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2016, 03:35:03 pm »
My flippin' marraige at this rate :-(
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2016, 04:23:24 pm »
'FSMnutter' There's no need to have to slate the same person for anything he/she does. You're constantly picking which is just a waste of time, leave them be.

"Slating"? Vets bills are a fact of keeping animals are they not?

Maybe everyone needs to take a step back and read the posts for the comments in them not the comments that are not!

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2016, 06:41:22 pm »
My flippin' marraige at this rate :-(

Three likes!!!! Heck  :o - some identification no doubt  ;D ;D :roflanim:
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Herdygirl

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2016, 09:11:35 am »

You are both right in my opinion, yes Vet bills are part of keeping livestock.  But most costs are predictable year on year so easier to budget for.  I have kept horses for 30 years and hardly saw a vet other than for annual vaccines but with sheep & goats and the horses getting older this last year me and the Vet are getting to know each other better.

[/quote]

Yes I agree.  It is best to budget for the worst case scenario, in my case if in doubt call the vet.  My pony likes our vets that much that if they come out to a sheep/goat etc he will come down with something 2 days later. we think its to get them back!  Its got to the stage now where they ask him if he is feeling well  :innocent:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS