Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Unexpected costs of keeping sheep...  (Read 7175 times)

princesslayer

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Tadley, Hants
Unexpected costs of keeping sheep...
« on: April 09, 2016, 09:20:14 pm »
Thought I'd see if anyone else had experienced unexpected costs from keeping sheep.

My four ewes come back to our garden for lambing. One just shoved itself behind my husband motorbike looking for a tasty morsel and knocked it over on the patio... :rant:
Keeper of Jacob sheep, several hens, Michael the Cockerel and some small children.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Re: Unexpected costs of keeping sheep...
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2016, 10:01:25 pm »
Not sheep, but our geese once chewed through ALL of the electrics on three trailers that were parked in their field!
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2016, 07:56:02 am »
my ponies break into my garden to eat my window sills.

CarolineJ

• Joined Dec 2015
  • North coast of Scotland
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2016, 09:21:40 am »
Mine broke through a triple-strand electric fence and ate an entire 10ft x 4ft bed of strawberries.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2016, 09:40:33 am »
I had someone who was renting some of the fields and their sheep got into my veg garden and decimated everything, me and mum where devestated but the guy didnt care in the least, not even sure if he apologised, soon after my landlady gave me the farm, due to his time being up and the fact he had ruined the farm. I am still trying to put right now what he neglected. The only time I had trailer electrics ruined was when my dog, now sold yo a lovely couple, chewed them to pieces he also had a nasty habit of rooting up flower bulbs :rant:
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2016, 09:58:00 am »
My sheep flooded the kitchen.  Played with the drain pipe from the washing machine, left it sticking up like. A periscope. ::)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2016, 08:23:59 pm »
All my bedding plants last year...

Garmoran

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Lochaber, Highland
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2016, 01:36:56 pm »
I had to replace a car windscreen once. A ewe had strangled itself in a neighbour's field gate, of all things. I caught the lamb which was 6 or 8 weeks old, if I remember correctly, and put it in the car to take it home whereupon it decided it was going to jump through the big transparent space in front. It wasn't successful, but its horns left two star-shaped cracks on the inside of the windscreen.
It later escaped from a field to rejoin the flock on the hill.

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2016, 02:32:04 pm »
My lambs have twice chewed through my electric fence cables (from battery to power unit).
Boxing the unit in helped but there is always a bit of cable sticking out which clips onto the fence tape so I'm expecting more damaged wires eventually.  :thinking:
"If one way is better than another, it is the way of nature." (Aristotle)

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2016, 02:36:29 pm »
my goats chewed the rachet straps I borrowed to stop the barn roof blowing off in the gales.

SophieYorkshire

• Joined Sep 2015
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2016, 03:10:26 pm »
My unexpected cost of keeping sheep was my belly!  :roflanim: Found myself eating Chinese takeaway at 5am on Saturday whilst sat in the shed and our teabag/cake consumption rates have doubled  ;D

My body obviously thinks staying up all these extra hours means it needs extra meals!

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2016, 03:58:59 pm »
mmmmm  :yum: :yum:

Blondie

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2016, 05:55:02 pm »
Not sheep.... But the dog unwrapped and ate/broke all the Christmas presents while I was at work.

Also we just bought a much bigger car so she has more space when we go on car journeys.........

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2016, 06:08:22 pm »
I have had a few unexpected costs of in calf buffalo this winter, a few of them had to be given an epidural due t prolapsing, due to inflamation. Vet bills are astronomical this year, just wondering how am gonna be able to pay em off, still the animals are all well which is the most important thing :)
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2016, 06:54:18 pm »

Also we just bought a much bigger car so she has more space when we go on car journeys.........

oh yes, I bought a ford focus estate purely for my gsd puppy. ha. expensive bitch but I love her dearly.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS