Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Loading pigs  (Read 3291 times)

danconfessed

• Joined Aug 2013
Loading pigs
« on: April 04, 2016, 12:33:58 pm »
Hi all,

I have some pigs due to slaughter tomorrow AM.  In the past we have always loaded them up early and set off.  Unfortunately, due to circumstances i dont have any helpers in the morning.  have any of you loaded the night before? If so, how long before? 
Obviously they will have access to water and plenty of room for the three of them. just contemplating the ethics of it

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Loading pigs
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2016, 12:35:22 pm »
Mine always sleep in the trailer the night before.  Lots of straw, what's not to love?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2016, 12:58:37 pm »
we did this, yes plenty of bedding to keep them clean.

danconfessed

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2016, 01:37:24 pm »
What time the previous evening did you load them?

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2016, 01:39:55 pm »
daylight and when helping hands were around. if they are from the same herd, they shouldn't fight, will sleep if not disturbed.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2016, 02:31:15 pm »
Mine are always loaded at tea time the previous evening. So that would be about 6pm.

Put straw and water in the trailer and lead them in with their tea. They then eat and bed down for the night.

We have never had a problem with this. In fact they are usually still asleep when we drive off the next morning.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2016, 02:31:32 pm »
We load the night before if we're leaving really early; big straw bed and water and their "last supper" in the trailer. They have more room than in their ark.

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2016, 08:55:34 pm »
I've often thought about loading the night before but never seem to find the time. Last minute seems to work out ok for us though.

benkt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cambridgeshire
    • Hempsals Community Farm
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2016, 08:40:12 am »
I've done both depending on availability of a spare pair of hands and had no problem either way - plenty of water if done the night before  (seems to get kicked over a lot in the trailer so I usually go out and fill up again last thing before bed).

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS