Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Poultry feed  (Read 3167 times)

Faye.Lear

• Joined Mar 2016
Poultry feed
« on: April 01, 2016, 08:41:59 am »
Hi Everyone,

Does anyone mix/mill their own poultry feed, trying to steer away from the usual grower and layer pellets if its possible, and any cheaper. Just wanted to know if anyone has done this with any success?

Any advice much appreciated!  :)

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
Re: Poultry feed
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2016, 04:00:09 pm »
not cost effective - if you live close to a merchant ok but running around finding a good quality seed/grain and handing mixing is a no go.

I buy mine from Hipeak its organic and find the quality top notch.  To locate all the ingredients in this mix would be a nightmare. Cost is cheaper if you buy a ton tote bag and store in a shipping container as the rats love it.  Or else buy on a pallet.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2016, 11:20:20 am »
I agree.  For the faff in sourcing and mixing it's just not worth it.

F.CUTHBERT

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2016, 11:20:48 pm »
All depends on what you are feeding and what you hope to achieve. My ducks and geese just get barley and a few kitchen scraps and at the moment we are getting more eggs than we can use. Later in the season eggs start to tail of and a bag of layers will fairly increase production again.
With rearing chicks it's not quite so easy.

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2016, 11:32:40 pm »
I get corn direct from the farmer: there are a few who do it around here and it works out cheaper than layers pellets Protein levels are important as is soluable grit, so do the research and it's no problem at all - for free range birds anyway - especially if they have enough range to basically just need topping up.

Faye.Lear

• Joined Mar 2016
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2016, 08:29:44 am »
Thanks for the advice guys, agreed for what its worth its better and more cost effective to buy layers pellets.

They get kitchen scraps and corn as a scratch feed so that should all help.  :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS