Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sheep fleece loss ?  (Read 2463 times)

crobertson

• Joined Sep 2015
Sheep fleece loss ?
« on: March 24, 2016, 02:10:05 pm »
Just wondering if anyone can help me, a couple of our texel ewes have afew tufts of fleece coming off them but I have no idea what it is or whether its nothing in particular.
In one of the ewes it seems to have started round the neck line as if shes 'moulting'. If you brush over her it will come out but the skin underneath looks absolutely fine. They were treated in October with Ivermectin (which also treats sheep scab but haven't been 'cliked' since last year). They've well looked after (more like pets) and look in great condition. Other than the obvious bits of wool coming off it isn't bothering them and they aren't itching much.

Any ideas ? Ive tried attaching photos but cant get it to work

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: Sheep fleece loss ?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2016, 07:31:17 pm »
Could be something or nothing , since you say they are in great condition then not nutritional stress   .     clean skin and  not itching much then maybe not scab , but itching and tufts of wool  could be lice  or they could just be very fit and ready to clip . If you want a definitive answer then  get skin scrapings done by vet

crobertson

• Joined Sep 2015
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2016, 08:03:12 pm »
Thanks for the reply and I know condition is subjective but I think they're in good condition (attached photo from this morning). They do have heavy fleeces and it does seem as though its 'lifting' if that makes any sense !

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2016, 08:18:31 pm »
Not sure what you are seeing , the sheep is  looking very well , fleece looks perfect

crobertson

• Joined Sep 2015
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2016, 08:25:48 pm »
Just starting to get tufts around the neck area on the other side.
Thanks

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2016, 08:38:51 pm »
still looks perfect :thumbsup:

crobertson

• Joined Sep 2015
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2016, 08:43:14 pm »
Thankyou - These are our first ewes, just wanted to make sure that its nothing (we're still learning) !

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS