Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: permited development  (Read 6575 times)

valmet10

• Joined Mar 2016
permited development
« on: March 22, 2016, 07:05:56 pm »
any one used the permited development, to convert an agricultural building into a dwelling
or has anyone any advice

mart6

• Joined Sep 2014
  • Notts / Yorkshire border
Re: permited development
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2016, 07:30:40 pm »
Read quite a few planning appeals on the subject.
Seems hit and miss affair some councils are helpful , others try to put hurdles in way.

A lot depends on what the building is constructed from and what modifications are needed

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2016, 08:38:30 pm »
In what way?

juliem

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2016, 08:46:50 pm »
With our local authority Telford & Wrekin it's quite easy to get permission...there is supposed to be some fast track process which the government has recently introduced.The barn has to satisfy certain criteria..used for agricultural pourposes etc.
Check with your local authority...you may even be able to do the forms yourself instead of paying an agent.
Good idea to do a search of your local authorities planning applications and get a feel for the process and forms required...
I've been surprised by the structures that have got it locally (there are always photos)...almost a tick box process..

juliem

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2016, 09:01:46 pm »
[Notification for Prior Approval for a Proposed Change of Use of Agricultural Building
to a Dwellinghouse (Class C3), and for Associated Operational Development*
Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) Order 2015
Schedule 2, Part 3, Class Q
*Development is not permitted where the proposed change of use would result in more than 3 dwellinghouses that have a cumulative
floor space of more than 450 square metres being created within an “established agricultural unit” (which means agricultural land occupied
as a unit for the purposes of agriculture on or before 20 March 2013, or for ten years before the date the proposed development will begin).
Development is not permitted where the building is a listed building, the site is or contains a scheduled monument, is located on Article
(3) land, or the site is, or forms part of a site of special scientific interest, a safety hazard area or a military explosives storag

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2016, 07:09:35 am »
Our local council insists on having bat surveys done first.

juliem

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2016, 01:48:49 pm »
I've just been trying to get my head round country stewardship grants to help maintain a barn.(has to be 1940's or before/used for agric pourposes etc) It has swallows/owls/bats..occasionally poorly sheep/logs /tools...just a very useful space.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2016, 10:36:05 pm »
I've just applied.
Having done a bit of research on the internet, the criteria is pretty straightfoward and if it applies, then permission should more or less guaranteed.
There are 2 parts to class Q.
  Class Q (a) is the actual permitted development which should be granted if all the conditions are met. I.E this bit gives you general permission to turn your agricultural building into a dwelling.
  Class Q (b) is the detailed plans of how you intend to do it. This is the bit the planners may object to. I.E they may turn it down on design, materials, flood risk assessment etc.

So I have initially applied for Q(a), which I'm pretty confident I'll get and I would like the assurance that I can convert the building before I go further with the architect.
A lot of people go for a and b at the same time and get turned down. But it is not the actual permitted development that is being turned down, but the details of how they intend to do it.   

Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

honeyend

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2016, 07:47:05 pm »
Our neighbour got its on an old cattle shed. We are just deciding what we want to do as we have a lot of sheds and an old dairy. We asked an agricultural agent who helped with the neighbours planning but I was not impressed by his level of knowledge, I think I knew more than him. What sites did you use as research?
 Thread from the farming forum.
http://thefarmingforum.co.uk/index.php?threads/nicks-permitted-devolopment.67526/page-8

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2016, 10:10:00 am »
Our neighbour got its on an old cattle shed. We are just deciding what we want to do as we have a lot of sheds and an old dairy. We asked an agricultural agent who helped with the neighbours planning but I was not impressed by his level of knowledge, I think I knew more than him. What sites did you use as research?
 Thread from the farming forum.
http://thefarmingforum.co.uk/index.php?threads/nicks-permitted-devolopment.67526/page-8

The Planning Forum is pretty self explanatory.
Also Martin Goodall's planning blog gives a lot of useful tips.
As mentioned above, I personally think you're better off going for class Q (a) to start with as that then guarantees your right to the development. You can haggle with the planners about the finer details later. 
Rules are made:

valmet10

• Joined Mar 2016
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2016, 06:04:29 pm »
just been doing loads of searches on  Google. cant really afford an agent , my parents live in the farmhouse , I live in rented property a few miles away n traveling back and forth is killing , so want to convert an farm building into single story  one bed ,don't want to alter out side of building to much other than roof lights and door . will have a look at that link

valmet10

• Joined Mar 2016
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2016, 08:12:12 pm »
well just search my local planning office website found 4 PD applications in the last month , so have to wait 56 days and we'll see hoe they go 

juliem

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2016, 09:06:23 pm »
I am guessing that if you apply in 2 stages as previously suggested then u have to pay 2 seperate planning app fees...my local authority charge £400.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2016, 10:58:03 am »
Yes that's right Julie. Our local authority, East Riding Yorks, have charged us about £365, and our local  architect £300 for putting in the application.
However, I initially made enquiries from a nationwide planning firm - who advertise in CLA magazine about their successes with this type of permitted development, and the chap I spoke to said they charged about £1800 just for applying for both parts together. (L. A. fees would be on top.) He also said it was very difficult to get permission to convert a modern agricultural building as the planners kept throwing back the design. The successes they had had were with the old brick buildings. It seemed fairly obvious then that this firm were pretty crap at coming up with a design acceptable to the planners, unless they were doing a standard brick conversion. Thereby enabling the LA to turn down what should be a permitted  development on what is essentially a technicality.
So, as mentioned, I decided to do it in stages as in principle the planners cannot turn down your right to convert, so long as the fairly straightforward conditions apply.
I reckon that once you have an agreement in principle it is easier to get the finer details passed.

Rules are made:

juliem

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2016, 08:35:32 pm »
I have an old barn which seems to tick all the boxes....but it is not very high and with only few windows.(brick built) .I know you have to stick to the original dimensions  but I am wondering if height is negotiable or windows in a roof.
As my local authority seem to be so helpful (??) I might pop in and ask them for advice. Rather that than pay an agent.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS