Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: reseeding the poultry pen  (Read 2329 times)

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
reseeding the poultry pen
« on: March 20, 2016, 03:55:26 pm »
So now that I have sold the flock off I am repairing the pen and reseeding it ready for the nest POL's this spring end beginning summer, hopefully! Can someone reccommend a grass seed which would be the best for poultry and would it be grown nicely by the beginning of summer if left? Advice greatly appreciated
Thanks
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Carse Goodlifers

• Joined Oct 2013
  • Perthshire
Re: reseeding the poultry pen
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2016, 06:41:29 pm »
I think Barenbrug UK do a poultry specific grass seed mix.
Never used it myself but you could check with them.  I know they do a pig grass seed mix and also an alpaca grass seed mix as well as other 'normal' ones.
I've got a contact number if you want it.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2016, 07:52:50 pm »
yes please if it's not too much trouble :)
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Big Light

• Joined Aug 2011
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2016, 07:36:53 pm »
If you make a square frame with wood 1m x 1m with a couple batons across it then put chicken wire over the top of it then the chickens can get grass without Scratching it up wood needs to be 3- 6 inches thick depending on the tightness of the netting

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2016, 09:37:00 pm »
Whenever we did a clear out of our deep litter sheds & sold off a shed's chickens we left the run area to its own devices .
It was only a matter of a few weeks before chickweed , grounsel sow thistle & fat hen etc came through & overtook the whole area inside the pen.  Then by the new replacement chicks  were about five inches tall , we'd let them out into the run area where over the nest several week they decimated everything yet again .

Dad never ever re seeded the pens as it takes six or more months or more for the new grass to get a decent root system and then the  chickens would decimate it within days if the pen enclosure was less than 3 sq yards per chicken .

What dad , my mum and my big brothers did do was to move the pens to clean ground in early November and dig over the old pen area for the next years veg gardens and make a well staked down & supported wire tunnel out from the shed " POP hole " into the newly sited pen area .
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS