Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Removing bushes  (Read 1807 times)

Midas

• Joined Mar 2016
Removing bushes
« on: March 26, 2016, 07:42:41 am »
I have finally managed to remove approximately 500 mtrs of stock fencing and posts, which had been there for 20 years ish, so am quite chuffed with myself.  Along the fence line that was, some bramble bushes and a few bits of hawthorn have grown.  Could anyone tell me the best way of getting these out? I am gearing myself up for the Mother of all hedgerow battles!!!!  :fc:

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
Re: Removing bushes
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2016, 09:47:27 pm »
Burning on top of the cut brambles & hawthorn works , so does cuttinmg then off just above ground level , as soon as you cut them & move the cutting away to one side spray  them with the recommended rate of SBK and some dirty engine oil mixed with a litre of diesel or paraffin  ( Special Brushwood Killer ) then when they have turned their toes up in a few months & haven't made any new greenery  get the bonfires a burning using the cut brambles & thornwood and some more dirty engine oil & diesel to get /keep it going .

Other than that It's a long hard very time consuming slog to dig them out by hand .
However if you haver access to a digger or a mini excavator scooping out the roots after you have done the top cutting exercise is easy and so long as you drop the root balls for a decent height to loosen the soil  then move the roots to one side free of soil it wont be very long before you can collect and burn all the roots & waste in one go . 

Just don't have the burn up next to ripe wheat fields etc or other flammable stuff lest you start something you cannot control.
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Midas

• Joined Mar 2016
Re: Removing bushes
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2016, 02:27:25 pm »
Thankyou Clodopper,
Very useful information.  I have been hacking away at one bush and pulled out five sheets of corragated tin!, in suprisingly good condition, there are 2 more sheets in there, so that will come in handy when I do up the barn.  I feel like I have found treasure!  Only 4 more bushes to trim then I will try and get a digger to dig the roots out.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS