Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Grass Sickness - Lost Shetland  (Read 6434 times)

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
Re: Grass Sickness - Lost Shetland
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2016, 12:57:20 pm »
sorry to hear this, I did my PhD in grass sickness back in the day (the C botulinum hypothesis). Horrid disease, part of the reason I feed hay year round but some people follow all the guidelines and are still unlucky.

Duckduckgoose

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Echt, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2016, 02:08:10 pm »
Thanks Lord Flynn
I had been feeding hay too but unfortunately it still hit. It's horrible to think that there's no real treatment for it.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2016, 07:48:19 am »
my vet had said they thought it was the same thing as "botox" which paralyses the gut and takes 3 months to wear off. obviously a pony cant survive gut paralysis for 3 month.

There is acute and chronic grass sickness.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2016, 09:48:16 am »
Having seen both types of grass sickness over the years I dread this time of year. It is true that it does appear on some land time and time again but it can also affect only one in a group all on the same grazing. I too feed hay all year round.

Midas

• Joined Mar 2016
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2016, 07:59:49 am »
So sorry to hear about your pony, it is very brave of you to share on here for other people to read about and take note of.  Best wishes to you and your family. x

Duckduckgoose

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Echt, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2016, 02:42:50 pm »
Thanks for all your messages. It's horrible to think that this awful sickness has touched so many people. The Children are missing Vicci their pony and have asked if we can start looking for another even though they know that no two ponies are the same. They are missing having someone to fuss over and spend time with and it's breaking my heart a bit  :'( :horse:

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2016, 10:21:41 pm »
So sorry to hear this. We also lost our children's pony nearly two weeks ago now, my older two (5 and 4) are still crying themselves to sleep, I am thinking I might need to see if I can get some help for them. It has been a big shock how devastated they are, they have lost a couple of family members and were upset but very philosophical, but this seems to have completely broken them.

Brandi

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2016, 10:49:38 pm »
 :hug: look after yourself, it takes its toll on you as well, big hugs and small steps forward

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS