Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Those blasted foxes!  (Read 8871 times)

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
Those blasted foxes!
« on: March 19, 2016, 06:17:29 pm »
Right I am absoloutely fuming! :rant: One of my lambs has been snatched by a fox sometime during the night, he was strong and healthy and yet he was still snatched. I went out to check them last thing last night before I went to sleep and they where all there and fine, I come this morning and he is missing, I scour the area and discover blood patches and bits of meat. I think it is time to 1 invest in a shotgun or 2 get in the fox hunters. Does anyone know of a good fox hunter in Ceredigion? For now I am bringing them into a building and there they will remain until further notice.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 06:22:48 pm by waterbuffalofarmer »
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: Those blasted foxes!
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2016, 07:11:51 pm »
Could be a badger.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2016, 07:56:22 pm »
could be, but one of my neighbours saw a fox hanging around, today. I have brought them in and have been going mad trying to build them a pen away from other animals, mainly newborn calves as I don't trust the calves at all and the lambs are only small. Managed to build a pen and need to patch up a few things before putting them in. :relief:
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2016, 07:57:35 pm »
has anyone else had fox problems this year? I know last year was terrible for fox problems.

princesslayer

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Tadley, Hants
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2016, 08:16:19 pm »
No good advice WBF, but sorry to hear that, must be horrible   :hug:
Keeper of Jacob sheep, several hens, Michael the Cockerel and some small children.

Raine

• Joined May 2011
  • Lincoln
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2016, 08:18:47 pm »
We are having to keep all our lambs in a stable this year as we have seen a dog fox running round the sheep fields.  We are trying a fox trap at the moment, as we live in the middle of a residential area.

Jethro Tull

• Joined Jan 2014
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2016, 09:15:15 pm »
Sorry to hear that WBF. can anyone tell me how long lambs remain vulnerable to foxes, what sort of size do they need to be before they are "safe"?

kelly58

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Highlands, Scotland
  • Home is were my animals are.
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2016, 09:21:32 pm »
Does the fox take lambs when the ewes lamb in june ?  Know they are about just want to be prepared   :sheep:

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2016, 06:18:12 am »
Do you have a local hunt?
Here they come around fairly regularly and you can ask them to come if you've seen foxes about.
One of the local farmers comes and collect donations each year for their upkeep.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2016, 09:42:43 am »
No sadly we don't. Out here its mostly hill farmers with cattle and sheep. I have a neighbour who shoots them. I was told that the best thing is to find its earth and they lay in wait and shoot it. Whst does everyone think?

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2016, 10:43:37 am »
Once they know where the dining table is they'll keep returning.  If the ewes know they're about they'll form a protective ring with the lambs in the middle but that may be too late. 

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2016, 10:55:12 am »
No sadly we don't. Out here its mostly hill farmers with cattle and sheep. I have a neighbour who shoots them. I was told that the best thing is to find its earth and they lay in wait and shoot it. Whst does everyone think?

Have you asked your neighbour for help shooting the culprits?  Foxes are indiscriminate and its only a question of time before he gets hit if he has livestock.  Ref your comment of investing in a shotgun it's not quite that easy.  Luckily... Another way to get someone to come and deal with them, look up your local gunshops  in the yellow pages,Google give them a call as they will know someone more than happy to come and do the deed..  this time of year it will most proberly be a vixen with cubs so she will be back tonight as sly as a fox.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 10:57:30 am by verdifish »

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2016, 11:40:37 am »
Sorry to hear about this WBF. The first year I lambed, and because mine were so previous (half a dozen lambs) a local farmer told me to keep the lambs in for the first week

I saw the local hunt were out here on Thursday but didn't hear any shooting going on.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Melmarsh

• Joined May 2014
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2016, 11:45:56 am »
Sorry for your loss, I am quite paranoid about foxes, never lost a lamb yet but have had foxes moseying about. As I only have 3_4 ewes lambing these days and even when I had 30_40 I let them out by day and have them in at night until they are quite big. I am lucky to be able to do this but even then have seen a fox in the field in the middle of the day eyeing them up !! At my previous holding my daughter came in late from work ,MN ish and heard the ewes carrying on so went to see and found the ewes had backed the lambs into the yard gateway and circled them ! There were several foxes in the field, presumably a family and she managed to scare them away but not until she was very close to them did they run !! :rant: :gloomy:

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2016, 12:08:23 pm »
Ours come in by night, but we very very sadly lost a lamb to birds yesterday, Baz devastated, me too, the lamb was fine , newborn, Baz walked away ewe followed, he was checking eater, she must have been thirsty, they turned back around and lamb was attacked. Lamb pts in vets, poor little mite, so yesterday went through twins a and slinky singles and some other randome single tubs, split them, put the twins and slinkies in where the ram lambs were , sold them Wednesday, then brought the group that lost the lamb down at dusk last night, so everyone is now in front of the house.  No grass but endless haylage spotlights. I ll be darned if we gonna loose any to bloody fox, badger or bird. 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS