Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Compost bin  (Read 3828 times)

mollymay

• Joined Apr 2010
Compost bin
« on: April 29, 2010, 09:10:18 pm »
Starting trying to make compost in a compost bin towards the end of last summer.  Basically using grass cutting, shredded paper, toilet roll holders and egg boxes.  I also put in veg peelings like carrot, potatoes etc.  Every now and again i stick the garden fork in and try to mix it all up.  Today i tried to get some compost out the bottom of it and discovered long white stringy roots, think its possibly from the potato peelings?  Is this common and/or is there something I can do about it?

Daisy

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Near Earlston Scottish Borders
Re: Compost bin
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 03:35:46 pm »
I don'thaqve any luck with my compost bins - the stuff just sits there  :-\ ::)

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 04:12:40 pm »
Compost a very strange stuff.I only use kitchen waste in mine every thing veg connected NO MEAT egg shells paper or cardboard never stir it up and from last April to now the bin is full of beautiful black soil type compost Which I riddle to make a lovely potting medium with no lumps.Grass cutting does not seem to work for my pal Roy.He is forever messing with it and its no good when he is done.It turns into fair silage though by the smell.
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 06:33:11 pm »
i never put potato peelings in, cos they do like to grow in compost bins
so yes, that could be what you've got.
if its something else growing, it could be that it isn't getting hot enough to kill off rooty growths....
Little Blue

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 06:39:37 pm »
If you have a compost heap as opposed to a fancy barrel etc, you will be cold composting. I have two pallet compost heaps one on the go and one rotting. It can take up to a year to get a good compost this way.I just pile everything on making sure 'green'waste and 'brown(ie paper,straw etc) waste goes in mixed up.I leave the top uncovered to let the rain in.Always have a beautiful compost by the time spring comes.When I use one heap I turn the other heap into the empty one so the top starts rotting then and start filling the empty one again.My compost heap quite large and do not have time for turning etc.The white roots could be buttercup, couch grass, or thistle etc. You must never put perennial weeds on a heap they just love them.

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2010, 08:24:07 pm »
never had potato peelings grow in my compost.Yes Karen I used several pallat made open compost heaps at Low Farm but grass cuttings definately not the best things to use
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2010, 09:17:33 pm »
I am using grass clippings as silage this year! I have been told that if I got some huge barrels from the fish farm and fill with grass clippings and seal on top of the grass after each filling and then seal the barrel completely when full and leave till winter ,it makes good silage.Small holders do it a lot up here(always wondered what all the blue barrels were about the place) I will see if it works and report on results.

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2010, 08:22:12 am »
Yes it will Karen By the way good morning to you and the O/H Do you want to make it extra good? Pour some raw molasses in every now and again Sheep in particular love it.Warwicks father used this method every year in the 1960's He made it in an old chalk pit on the farm.It smells ever so nice when the pickle is opened.

andy harris

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2010, 08:30:22 pm »
Hi
   I have them too but i think they just not rotted down enough...i put teabags and egg shells in mine too pretty much everything gose in my compost.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS