Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Is anyone going to the Edinburgh Fibre Fest this Friday and Saturday?  (Read 4539 times)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs

Anyone planning on being there?

I need a boost to my craft interest, which has been overtaken by lots of other things, so I'm contemplating braving the crowds after all (I've stopped going to WoolFest because I get overwhelmed by the crush).  I need inspiration  :spin: :knit: and maybe a pattern or kit to knit/crochet (I can't crochet.....yet) a holey waistcoat.  Or maybe even buy a holey waistcoat if there are any for sale
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Is anyone going to the Edinburgh Fibre Fest this Friday and Saturday?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2016, 06:41:58 pm »
Me! would you believe  ;D

Going on Friday with my chum, Janet.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2016, 10:13:22 pm »
I'll keep my eyes peeled for you Rosemary, as Fri is when we're going too.  Just bought the tickets, G accompanying me (probably to stop me spending too much)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2016, 10:16:06 am »
I can't go, we're lambing.  Can't be sad about the lambing :love: :sheep:, but very sad to be missing the event  :'(

But my pals will be there with the Tour of British Fleece display, which I know you will love, Juliet.  In the end we didn't use the pic of Gladstone Laughing Boy for the Hebridean info sheet (maybe we needed more pixels?)  but I hope you will like the pic we did use, and approve of what I wrote!

ToBF is there in the main hall, stand F5, in the same group as Jamieson's of Shetland and John Arbon.

It's a 'Nothing for Sale' and 'Please DO Touch!' stand, with lots of pics, info, knitted samples, skeinlets and finished items, fleece samples and so on. 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2016, 11:22:00 am »
That sounds brilliant Sally.  I'll be sure to have a good look  :thumbsup:  I'm all agog about what you've put about Hebs.  For pics, we always have versions with far more pixels in our files.

It's a shame you can't be there but lambs come first.  Fortunately our tiny lambing isn't until into April  :sheep:  :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: :sheep:

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2016, 01:41:59 pm »
Sadly too busy with goat kids and getting the garden up to scratch.... and yes the crowds do not appeal to me anymore either... I would have liked to have a look at the new yarn that Kate Davies has brought out, but just not enough time for browsing big events like that anymore...

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2016, 06:54:19 pm »
What did you think of it [member=13]Rosemary[/member] ?  We arrived at 10 and the queue stretched right around the corner, along that street then around the next corner, several people wide.  We went to Asda instead, which was just about as bad.  On the way home we decided to drive by and see if the queue was still there - all clear. I dashed in to get the yarn bowl(s) I wanted but the crush was too much for me as I feared, so we left within about 15 mins of arriving.  The doorman, standing there with his clicker, said 1800 folk had gone in so far - doesn't sound all that many, but it's a small hall.
It was mainly yarn  :knit: (I suppose the name hinted at that) and all the stalls looked fairly similar, but as I said, I didn't stay to explore them all.
Sorry [member=10673]SallyintNorth[/member]  I didn't see your stand.....
So it sounds as if the event is proving very successful, which is good for Edinburgh.  Scotland has an enormous textile past, so it is appropriate  :thumbsup:  We just need to press them to have more spinning and weaving content  :spin:
« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 12:14:26 pm by Fleecewife »

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2016, 10:41:22 am »
Tour of British Fleece had a very successful two days.  Loads of interest, even got a couple of people spinning.  Sorry you didn't have a good experience, Juliet.  Maybe they need to do pre-sale tickets next year, with fast-track entry.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2016, 05:29:44 pm »
We already had our tickets - maybe we could have queue jumped but I don't know.
My experience wasn't their fault, just that I can't take pushing crowds.
I'm glad the ToBF had a good two days - makes it all worthwhile.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2016, 09:27:25 pm »
We arrived about 11am and it was straight in. The taxi driver said there had been big crowds for opening. It was busy but not excessively so = like a weekday at the Highland. My chum has been to Woolfest in Cockermouth and said that IT was mayhem and the EYF was much more pleasant to walk around.

I enjoyed it - well, it was aday out  ;D - but the stands (91 in total) were all much the same. I liked the button ones best. But remember I'm not a knitter / crocheter.

I bought a lovely wool throw from Knockando Mill and chatted to a nice woman about selling fleece; the Round Britain stand was good too.

We went in at 11 and we were out at 1pm; workshops were £60 for 2 1/2 hours including a two day pass for the exhibition.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2016, 09:35:29 pm »
My chum has been to Woolfest in Cockermouth and said that IT was mayhem and the EYF was much more pleasant to walk around.

Woolfest's my local fibre fest, so I've just got to pipe up and say that it absolutely was heaving and at times not pleasant in 2014.  Last year it was much more pleasant  :)  No question it's a well-attended event, though - but it's a big venue :)

Sorry, back On Topic now :)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2016, 10:47:35 pm »

I bought a lovely wool throw from Knockando Mill and chatted to a nice woman about selling fleece; the Round Britain stand was good too.

Ummm... did you mean Tour of British Fleece?  Or was there another fleece-or-yarn-around-Britain stand ?

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2016, 09:38:57 am »
My chum has been to Woolfest in Cockermouth and said that IT was mayhem and the EYF was much more pleasant to walk around.

Woolfest's my local fibre fest, so I've just got to pipe up and say that it absolutely was heaving and at times not pleasant in 2014.  Last year it was much more pleasant  :)  No question it's a well-attended event, though - but it's a big venue :)

Sorry, back On Topic now :)

It WAS 2014 when she went. I'm hoping to go this year but it's the same weekend as the Royal Highland.
Yes, it was the Tour of British Fleece - it was really good.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2016, 04:41:17 pm »
What did you think of it [member=13]Rosemary[/member] ?  We arrived at 10 and the queue stretched right around the corner, along that street then around the next corner, several people wide.  We went to Asda instead, which was just about as bad.  On the way home we decided to drive by and see if the queue was still there - all clear. I dashed in to get the yarn bowl(s) I wanted but the crush was too much for me as I feared, so we left within about 15 mins of arriving.  The doorman, standing there with his clicker, said 1800 folk had gone in so far - doesn't sound all that many, but it's a small hall.
It was mainly yarn  :knit: (I suppose the name hinted at that) and all the stalls looked fairly similar, but as I said, I didn't stay to explore them all.
Sorry [member=10673]SallyintNorth[/member]  I didn't see your stand.....
So it sounds as if the event is proving very successful, which is good for Edinburgh.  Scotland has an enormous textile past, so it is appropriate  :thumbsup:  We just need to press them to have more spinning and weaving content  :spin:

and to have a larger venue?.... I am planning to go to a smaller local one in St Abbs on 02nd April - great location to send the non-wooly people off for a dog walk on the cliffs, have a meander round some local wool people and hopefully get some grub in the local café... and not too many crowds (hopefully).

PS.:I have given up on woolfest .. last time was (I think) 2013... too much in the way of crowds and long drive to get there...

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2016, 01:14:03 am »
PS.:I have given up on woolfest .. last time was (I think) 2013... too much in the way of crowds and long drive to get there...
[/quote]

Me too.  Plus I have to admit that I've bought everything I can justify from Woolfest, so no reason to go except nosiness, and it's a long way for that.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS