Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Weird bubble on vulva!  (Read 2308 times)

princesslayer

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Tadley, Hants
Weird bubble on vulva!
« on: March 12, 2016, 07:54:21 pm »
Hello all, it's put second lambing this year and the ewes second lambing also, although we've not got started yet this year.

Last year they lambed outside marvellously on their own, no problems.

Today I've notice one ewe, who had a biggish single ram lamb last year, has a small 1cm bubble on her vulva which has just appeared. Shouldn't be due for at least a week (no idea when covered, dates are from when the ram went in). It seems to be part of her skin, not part of the water bag. It looks like a water filled bubble of skin. Could this be the start of prolapse? She is otherwise fine.

Many thanks
Keeper of Jacob sheep, several hens, Michael the Cockerel and some small children.

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
Re: Weird bubble on vulva!
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2016, 08:43:34 pm »
Sometimes you can get oedema, or fluid swelling in response to hormonal changes as they get close to lambing. If eating, drinking and it doesn't get in the way of her vulva where the lambs will come out, she should be fine.
If it is poking out from the hole where the lambs will come through, it may well be a small prolapse which may need replacing and holding in place with a stitch, harness or spoon. Have a feel, and if it is pushing out from her insides, then it is a prolapse and needs treatment by yourself, a friendly local sheep farmer or the vet. If it is entirely on the outside, then just keep an eye on her as it may mean she needs assistance lambing.

princesslayer

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Tadley, Hants
Re: Weird bubble on vulva!
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2016, 08:49:25 pm »
Thanks, that's put my mind at rest! It's very pale pink like skin, not red like prolapse and appears to be on the outside very close to the vulva but not poking out of it. I'll keep a close eye. I have an experienced shepherd friend close by and won't hesitate to get the vet if something looks awry.
Keeper of Jacob sheep, several hens, Michael the Cockerel and some small children.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS