Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Coloured egg layers  (Read 1846 times)

Melmarsh

• Joined May 2014
Coloured egg layers
« on: March 10, 2016, 01:24:57 pm »
Can someone tell me if ,when a chicken first starts to lay, and it's a coloured egg layer ie blue, the eggs are not blue from POL but turn blue as the chicken matures ??? And would that apply to a dark brown egg layer too ??? ???

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
Re: Coloured egg layers
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2016, 01:51:44 pm »
I can only draw on my own limited experience but with my two batches of home reared chicks coming into POL the coloured egg layers have always started laying properly coloured eggs straight away (Cream Legbars (blue) and Barnvelders (darkish brown). It seems to be more the shape of the eggs that needs a bit of practice to come right, the first few eggs always seem on the small side, and I had a couple of shell-less eggs too.
"If one way is better than another, it is the way of nature." (Aristotle)

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2016, 02:19:47 pm »
It's the other way around: the colour will lighten as the season progresses. So if you have a bought a chicken that is meant to lay blue eggs and it lays beige ones, they'll remain beige egg layers and the colour will only become paler.

Same with a dark brown egg layer: she should lay dark brown eggs at first but they'll become less dark brown the more she lays.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2016, 02:47:32 pm »
Colour true from the first egg, gets lighter with age.  If egg colour is important or you're selling from the gate don't breed from hens that lay poor colours or mis-shaped or ridged eggs.  I've got one hen that's laying a double-yolker every time (must've made her eyes water the first couple of times). Very popular in the egg box but the first and probably the last I've ever had.

Melmarsh

• Joined May 2014
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2016, 04:05:59 pm »
Many thanks all, it was a neighbour that bought a blue egg layer and dark brown but got two beige eggs this am and took the chickens back ,only to be told that the colour comes with age !!! We thought this was wrong but wanted. To check with ' them what know ' ! Thanks again  :wave: :chook:

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2016, 11:39:34 am »
My welsummer laid her first eggs this week and they were dark brown.
If your neighbours chickens laid different coloured eggs than their breed standards it simply means they are not  pure breed.
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS