Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Barley on a small scale  (Read 4142 times)

Jethro Tull

• Joined Jan 2014
Barley on a small scale
« on: March 01, 2016, 06:01:08 am »
I would like to grow some barley on a small scale, say 10 kilos for domestic consumption. Anyone done this? Any advice on sourcing organic seed? Thank you

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: Barley on a small scale
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2016, 09:15:59 am »
Not tried it but have the book "Small Scale Grain Rainsing" on my wish list  ;D  if you just wanted 10 kg try feed merchants as some might stock organic whole barley.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Carse Goodlifers

• Joined Oct 2013
  • Perthshire
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2016, 09:04:06 pm »
Organic seed could be expensive.
For the sake of 10kg try the merchants or try and find out if there is a local organic farm in which you could buy some from.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2016, 11:50:52 am »
I found this interesting site: http://www.sustainweb.org/realbread/bake_your_lawn/#seeds
perhaps some of the links might do barley?

I did some more lookig around.. coudn;t find a spring wheat but did find your barley (and quinoa)..
http://www.kingsseeds.com/Products/Vegetables/Ancient-Grains
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 03:26:27 pm by pgkevet »

Jethro Tull

• Joined Jan 2014
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2016, 09:47:06 pm »
thanks for the steer on kingseeds, their barley is for autumn sowing but it made me think about quinoa which can be sown now, so I ordered a few grams. Anyone got any tips of quinoa growing?

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2016, 11:24:34 pm »
I've got plenty room so thought I take a punt on both the autumn wheat and barley sown when it arrives...it's only going to be small patches and worst case can be manured in. It just depends on a  lucky welsh summer.
I bought a fig tree too...been wanting a new nice one.

benkt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cambridgeshire
    • Hempsals Community Farm
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2016, 08:55:53 am »
We did spring barley one year, just went round to a local farmer and got a small sack of his seed for a fiver. Broadcast sown, harvested with a scythe, threshed with small children's feet. Good fun, but not hugely productive!

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2016, 09:12:16 am »
There is an article on rodales organic about growing grain from seed. Just write that in and rodales organic after and it should come up. It is a very interesting article and covers everything to do with growing grains on a small scale. :)
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2016, 10:14:45 am »
I can't say I'm hugely worried about efficiency of grain growing..I'm reducing the amount of 'real' veggies on that patch this year anyway and need some green manure or soemthing to fill in the fallow part. It was that or put it back to being part of the meadow it's in. I'm halving the potatoe and onion areas anyway and not bothering with the flowers i had on there before and cuttign back on my excess brassicas too.

Jethro Tull

• Joined Jan 2014
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2016, 10:51:40 pm »
Likewise, it's not the efficiency but it is the taste, and we do have enough space

It's these last few weeks of winter that we seem to turn to barley soups and stews, and increasingly I find the supermarket brands stodgy and tasteless - especially what they call pearl barley

Still quinoa and field beans will do for now, but will source some winter barley later in the year

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2016, 08:28:15 am »
If you want nice barley try the barley from your local wholefood store. The barley is really nice there :)
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS