Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Yoghurt has a strong yeasty savory smell to it instead of a nice sour  (Read 5071 times)

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
Im having some hit and misses with yoghurt making with my raw milk.  Ive sorted out the lumpy problem.  I'm using heirloom but even from the first batch there is a strong overly yeasty savory smell and taste what is this?  The texture is great but now I need to sort out this problem.  Any ideas?

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
Re: Yoghurt has a strong yeasty savory smell to it instead of a nice sour
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2016, 10:12:13 pm »
I have no experience with raw milk sadly, but I sometimes get a sweet savory smell with my kefir - kind of more like cheese than yoghurt. Usually it happens when I leave it for too long, so I guess it gets 'overripe' in a way?
It's usually just the top layer (so when mixed with the rest of the jar it dissipates anyway). I certainly haven't come to any harm eating it.
Could you try fermenting your yoghurt for a shorter time?
"If one way is better than another, it is the way of nature." (Aristotle)

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2016, 10:28:06 pm »
I'm usually pushed for time so do it late in evening meaning its left overnight. 10pm - 7am.  Prev it didnt have this but now its regular.  Smells a bit like toast but not unpleasant to taste.  Puts the children off.

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2016, 09:41:23 pm »
If you have a plug in timer power socket  perhaps  try using that and only cook for the specified time . Setting it up so the end time coincides with breakfast time maybe.
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2016, 10:27:05 pm »
its yummy when out after 7 hrs its after its been in the fridge after a day or so then it takes on a strong toast smell

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2016, 09:09:19 am »
Maybe something in the fridge is tainting it.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2016, 04:47:14 pm »
if you have any bread dough rising in the kitchen at the same time as yoghurt making (same goes for making cheese btw), wild yeasts in the air will move into the yoghurt/cheese/milk - results are yeasty yoghurt, cheese with tiny holes in it (and yeasty taste).

Also I would change my yogurt culture regularly, we have found that using Yeo organic it only lasts for two maybe three goes, then we need to buy a fresh pot (and the Coop have stopped selling yoghurt in small containers... >:()...

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2016, 06:29:34 pm »
You say you are making yoghurt with raw milk... are you pasteurising first?  I was always taught that an initial pasteurisation is essential for yoghurt, otherwise contaminating bacteria get in on the act.  (You can make cheese with unpasteurised milk, as the cheese bacteria create a brew that's too acidic for other bacteria in the milk.  But the same isn't true of yoghurt.)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2016, 09:00:21 am »
No you don't have to pasteurise your milk for yoghurt, as long as it is fresh and no contaminated.

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2016, 03:58:30 pm »
I think its the cultures I am using.  I didnt have this with different brands.  Yes I heat first and drop it quick to add cultures then pop into a crock pot with lid and leave overnight.  Its not contaminated the smell and taste comes after being in the fridge a day or so.  Its in a clean lidded pot in fridge.  Perhaps try different heirloom cultures?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS