Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Goats milk for orphan lambs ??????????  (Read 7164 times)

crobertson

• Joined Sep 2015
Goats milk for orphan lambs ??????????
« on: February 21, 2016, 08:05:46 pm »
Is goats milk any good for orphan lambs ?? Thought it might be more suitable that the powder reconstituted replacer

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
Re: Goats milk for orphan lambs ??????????
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2016, 08:37:35 pm »
It's rocket fuel.for lambs. Our 1st lamb was at 1st bottle fed then direct of the nanny.  he did very very well on goats milk.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2016, 08:56:16 pm »
But only home-produced, non-pasteurised and non-homogenised any good. Not the stuff you get in the supermarket.

david c

• Joined Jun 2013
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2016, 01:45:49 am »
2nd that. Sheep milk is much higher fat. I had one lamb I had to bottle feed in an emergency. Bought goats milk from the CO-OP. To compound the issue it was semi skimmed. Very quickly had to get it onto sheep milk replacer! 

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2016, 09:23:45 am »
It's very dangerous to feed homogenised milk to nurslings of any species.  These days, almost all commercial milk is homogenised.  You'd do better giving them glucose and water, at least that won't harm them.

But of course we should all have our dried milks - colostrum and regular - in stock now, awaiting customers :)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Melmarsh

• Joined May 2014
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2016, 05:28:39 pm »
I have raised many triplet lambs on what is naturally homogenised goats milk straight from the bulk tank and warmed !! No problems whatsoever if you don't mind being climbed over for them to get to it. No scour just happy bouncy lambs ???????????????? :roflanim:

Talana

• Joined Mar 2014
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2016, 10:11:45 pm »
I have my own milking goats and store it up the raw milk in the freezer for lambing time we have saved many a lamb with goats milk they do really well on it.  As a seconder the new version of downland lamb replacer is now good as made from ewes milk.

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2016, 08:08:52 am »
It's also perfect for rearing piglets  :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS