Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lame Ewe  (Read 2630 times)

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
Lame Ewe
« on: February 21, 2016, 07:47:28 pm »
Hi, I've not been on this forum for ages, but am in need of some advice please.

I'm fairly new to sheep owning and have 4 Jacob Ewes that I've owned for just over a year are in lamb for the first time.

Last year a couple of the sheep had feet problems during wet weather. Their hoof seemed to separate from the soft part of their toe and mud would get impacted between the two.  It seemed to sort itself out when the weather dried out.

However last week Martha was lame and when I checked her half of the hoof had split and was hanging off. I trimmed and washed the hoof and sprayed it with Terramycin. I then shut her in so she could be on some solid ground.

2 days after, she was standing on that foot fine but had gone lame on a front leg. When I checked she had the impacted mud, as described above, but because she was in it had dried hard which is why I'm guessing it had got sore. I tried to clean it as best I could and then sprayed it. That was 2 days ago and although Martha is putting weight on it she is still lame.

So my question is, would should I do please? Is this a common problem? Does it have a name so I can do some research? Any help would be great please and sorry for such a long post!

CarolineJ

• Joined Dec 2015
  • North coast of Scotland
Re: Lame Ewe
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2016, 07:51:33 pm »
That sounds like shelly hoof/white line disease, I think?  You need to scrape the mud out of the pocket that has formed between the foot and the hoof wall and then carefully trim away the hoof until you get back to hoof that's flush to the foot - if it's not flush, then when the hoof grows down again, mud will start getting back in and pushing the hoof wall out again.

crobertson

• Joined Sep 2015
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2016, 08:13:45 pm »
One of my ewes had this, we scraped out any mud, trimmed back the hoof, washed out with diluted hibbiscrub and sprayed with net-tex footmaster did the trick perfectly but we did keep her out in the field on softer ground.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2016, 07:54:17 am »
So that's the treatment. My question is, what's the cure?  My vet was very vague when I asked, and just basically said "it happens".

Has anybody managed to successfully prevent it from recurring in their flock?  If so, how?
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2016, 09:20:05 am »
So that's the treatment. My question is, what's the cure?  My vet was very vague when I asked, and just basically said "it happens".

Has anybody managed to successfully prevent it from recurring in their flock?  If so, how?

Cull sheep with recurrent foot problems.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2016, 09:43:00 am »
Don't trim back the "bulb" at the back of the clee as this keeps the horn layer under tension and limits the opportunities for a big pocket to form.  Move troughs and field hayracks every day in wet weather (we're moving the rack daily and the troughs twice a day at present) as churned up mud pushes in much more quickly.  If there's a bloodline in your flock that has a thicker horn on the foot (striped horn in the case of my Southdowns) bear it in mind when selecting replacements.  If a sheep is persistently lame with Shelly Hoof I keep it in the shed until its foot can bear weight well enough to go to market then cull it.  Otherwise the horn generally grows back sound by the end of the Summer.

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2016, 12:31:25 pm »
Thank you everyone for your answers.

shotblastuk

• Joined May 2013
  • Proper Gloucestershire !!
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2016, 07:17:19 am »
You could try golden hoof. I use this on a regular basis as a preventative rather than a cure.

Red

• Joined Mar 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2016, 09:17:40 pm »
We've had Shelley hoof and around all water troughs and entrances we have put stone flags so the sheep can scour their feet naturally and this has really help all round with hoof problems ... You can get them free from your local free cycle
Red

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS