Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pair of Good Natured Geese Wanted  (Read 2428 times)

Duckduckgoose

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Echt, Aberdeenshire
Pair of Good Natured Geese Wanted
« on: February 20, 2016, 09:02:16 pm »
Hi I'm looking for a breeding pair of good natured geese.
I had a pair lined up but the gander turned out to be very aggressive and both hated children so I couldn't take them.
Breed unimportant
Thanks for reading  ;D

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
Re: Pair of Good Natured Geese Wanted
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2016, 07:08:02 pm »
Most geese don't like kids and the males always come across as aggressive at this time of year.  They often hiss when they are excited too (like feeding times) and people can get confused by that, particularly kids and if they run and squeal around the geese the geese do get defensive.  We have Steinbacher, known to be the most friendly of geese - my kids have grown up with them and the geese don't mind them now but they used to attack them when they were younger.  I'm not sure you'll get ones which won't go for younger children.  Sorry, hope my response doesn't seem bossy. x
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Duckduckgoose

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Echt, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2016, 07:32:24 pm »
No, not bossy at all  ;). the kids are pretty good and are around stock all the time so they know to be calm and sensible. I'm also familiar with gander behaviour.  I had spoken to the lady who was selling them and she said they were fine then on the day I was going to collect them her husband accidentally let slip that no one could walk in the field without a stick as they both flew at whoever was there, and they especially hated her grandchildren. At that point I decided to leave it there. Still looking, might  hatch some myself so that they are well familiarised with the kids from birth?

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2016, 04:32:14 pm »
Think you were right to leave them.

We have the lovely Maximus who is our youngest Steinbacher, born in our kitchen and ran around like one of those kids flappy toys on the end of a stick, very funny, running at top speed, the kids would love that.  He has only partially bonded with the others however, as he also sees me as mum and loves me which is great.  He'll leave the others sometimes and come up to the house and into the kitchen (doesn't care about the dog or cat) and wanders around the kitchen, sometimes sitting down for a nap.  He's over 2 years old now and is beginning to bond with the other geese better now but it's made him very confident with people in general which isn't to everyone's taste - he does tug at any male's trousers if they are talking to me, not females however and he is fine with our kids (they're 12 and 14 now so not so wee).  Having the goslings is great they are a lot of fun and I expect if the kids and goslings grow up together that would make much more sense.  And fun.  I hear Embden geese can be the most aggressive.  I could send you some of our eggs if I could find them - ours wander up to about a third of a mile from the house our in the wilds and I've no idea where they are laying at the moment - keep saying every year I will pen them to get the eggs then we never get around to it.  If I do find them I would be happy to send you some...
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Duckduckgoose

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Echt, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2016, 05:11:13 pm »
That would be great :) keep in touch! The kids are sold on the gosling idea so I think we might go down that route this year. I've got hen eggs in the incubator just now and plan to have a batch of ducks after that if I can get any eggs so it will be when it gets a bit warmer.
I've been reading about Steinbachers and they seem to be a breed that would be very suitable for us.
We live in the middle of nowhere up a dead end farm track so they wouldn't bother anyone. Feels like sping is coming with all this talk of hatching!  :&>

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2016, 05:14:35 pm »
Great, can't promise, we will need to find them first, egg hunt tradition and yes they are lovely, the geese are my favourite out of everything, very entertaining.  I'll keep in touch DDG.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS