Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: castrate or not?  (Read 3169 times)

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
castrate or not?
« on: February 18, 2016, 05:08:17 pm »
First ewe lambed yesterday, not a good start this year, triplets (which I rarely have) ewe wouldn't let her milk down, udder like a prize cow, jabbed her, tried milking her etc etc.  She is now down to 2 lambs after flattening the 3rd. 

Anyway....  to castrate ram lambs or not?  I have always castrated, (or got someone to help as I am useless at it), my lambs all get slaughtered around sept/oct time.  Weaned around Aug, and ewe lambs I am keeping are separated. 

Would it be beneficial to growth if I don't castrate?  Does the meat taste different?  Opinions please.  many thanks.

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
Re: castrate or not?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2016, 05:23:49 pm »
I'd leave them as long as you have sufficient room to keep them separate once weaned.  Castration does slow down growth.

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Hereford/Powys Border. near Hay-on-Wye
    • castlefarmeggs
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2016, 05:25:37 pm »
I stopped castrating years ago.No need to put them through all that pain.They go off with half a kilo more dangling between their legs.

Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

TheSmilingSheep

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2016, 05:46:23 pm »
I agree - better for growth, and with your timing there will be no impact at all on taste - just delicious!

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2016, 06:18:41 pm »
oh the relief!!!  will leave their crown jewels intact this year, less stress for me and them!!  Love doing their tails, just hopeless with the balls!

Red

• Joined Mar 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2016, 11:39:28 pm »
We've never castrated but last year our local farmer popped round and castrated 2 of our boys ... They do grow slower but they are a lot easier to handle ... The other 6 boys who weren't done have really shot up but we've had to separate 2 for fighting ! So depends on how much land you have ... The 2 castrated boys are loving playing with the girls and seem much happier in themselves ... Food for thought
Red

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2016, 07:13:01 am »
We've never castrated except for any we keep as a tup companion (two in 10 years); I find them fine to handle, in fact they are easier than the giddy ewe lambs. Like you, ours go away October time.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2016, 07:38:50 am »
We have not castrated for the 2 years we have had sheep and the ram lambs are a delight to keep .... much friendlier than their female sisters.  This year all will be castrated as we have people looking after the place whilst we venture to Tanzania in the summer so I am making the place as easy to deal with as possible (and late August is a bit to close to mating time to risk someone not keeping them apart!)   so as to growth rate this year will be interesting.
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2016, 09:52:43 am »
We castrate, the first lambs we send off are normally whethers but we do keep ours into autumn. They do all grow fine though The exception was last year with a lamb that never dropped his stones, even the vet was perplexed as to why he didn't have anything in his ball sack  :o

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2016, 04:11:05 pm »
Cryptorchidism      surprised  your vet didn't say

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS