Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Coloured ryelands in lamb  (Read 3086 times)

Je

• Joined May 2015
Coloured ryelands in lamb
« on: February 22, 2016, 05:06:36 pm »
Hi may I have advice please. Have read my books but in need of reassurance!
I have 2 ryeland ewes, 2yo first timers ( as am I ) One is having single lamb in 4wks, other is twins in 6 wks. Currently having ad lib hay medium quality, ewe mix once daily small amount. Both good body condition. Should I put in red bucket? Will that be ok with single lamber? Should i still give a little mix daily even when red bucket in with them. What weight of mix should each ewe be having at this time if red bucket available?
Thanks in anticipation.

Talana

• Joined Mar 2014
Re: Coloured ryelands in lamb
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2016, 10:33:53 pm »
Normally for the commercial flock -llyens /mules- our singles get 0.30 kg 18% ewe rolls, twins get 0.60kg 18% ewe rolls 0.90kg 18% ewe rolls per day they also get treacle feeders( prevents twin lamb) hay/grazing.   Using buckets you shouldn't need to feed singles any extra maybe tiny amount for the twins.  Although our little ryeland scanned with a single is in with the single lot  so hopefully it will lamb ok as she is very greedy. You have to gage their condition as it depends on the quality of your forage as well. If too thin give them more if in really good condition cut them back a bit as ewes that are too fat can be prone to prolapse  and lambing probs.
Hope what we do is helpful, Good Luck ,trust your instincts I hope everything goes well for you.

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2016, 06:10:49 am »
Hi I breed both types of ryeland and yes a bucket will be fine for both at this stage. I use the big red lifeline ewe and lamb buckets fro 6 weeks before for everyone. It contains calcium which prevents hypocalcemia and gives them access to easily metabolisable energy when they dont have much space in the rumen for concentrates.

I'm guessing that you are worried that if you feed the first timer who is carrying the single too much she will have a huge lamb and have difficulty giving birth?

What condition are they when you feel along their backs hips and tail? Spongy...or boney? How much concentrate are they getting each a day? can you weigh it? Mine would be on 2 x 25g a day at this stage. They would both be fed the same as the one with a single is closer to lambing and the one that has longer to go is having twins.

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2016, 02:45:37 pm »
Mine are getting the same as Buffys. It is pot luck whether they are twins or singles. Only have 6 so I feed midway.

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2016, 04:36:03 pm »
Like Pharnorth I guestimate how many mine are carrying based on their size and shape and only lambing a dozen or so its just not practical to have several different groups for different feeding regimes so some later lambers will start to get fed a little earlier than others but it all works out in the end.

Ryelands have a tendency to store fat easier than other breeds and hang on to it. They are also shorter bodied than many larger breeds and mine tend to have multiples so these factors lead to a significantly reduced rumen capacity during the last 6 weeks. Regardless of how much extra condition your ewes had on before pregnancy you still have to feed the the required ration to support the developing lambs. They cant utilise their own fat reserves to develop the lambs so feed them a gently rising or stepped plane of nutrition and they will be ok. Some people might give a higher ration to a ewe who went to the tup in poor condition but personally I have never met a skinny Ryeland and find that 25g in one feed is the most they can eat before they throw up.

The books are not massively helpful for Ryelands as you will have discovered as they tend to be a little different to more commercial breeds. There can be a concern that too much weight or too much hay can lead to prolapse which I think is the case for some breeds but I have never experienced this in my ryelands even with the chubby ones.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2016, 05:00:29 pm »

The books are not massively helpful for Ryelands as you will have discovered as they tend to be a little different to more commercial breeds. There can be a concern that too much weight or too much hay can lead to prolapse which I think is the case for some breeds but I have never experienced this in my ryelands even with the chubby ones.

I only have half a dozen, 3 Ryelands and 3 Coloureds. 2 of my coloureds have had prolapses, one who continued to prolapse even some while after the birth. In the end, despite being my favourite, she had to go. I wasn't doing her or myself any favours in keeping her. Definitely don't let them get too fat.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2016, 05:01:59 pm »

25g in one feed is the most they can eat before they throw up.

Did you mean 25g?  or 250g ?
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2016, 05:18:15 pm »
I meant 0.25g. and I meant that mine throw up. Not that others would.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2016, 05:22:56 pm »
I meant 0.25g. and I meant that mine throw up. Not that others would.

that doesn't make sense  I think you mean   0.25KG which is 250g
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS