Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ideas please for hardy flowering climbers  (Read 5313 times)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Ideas please for hardy flowering climbers
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2016, 03:22:30 pm »
Snap Devonlady  ;D   I've just got back from the garden centre, bearing that exact rose  :fc:  I also bought a Hydrangea Petiolaris so I can plant them on the north side as soon as I buy some half barrels The path comes right up to the wall there, so no ground to plant into direct.  I also bought a winter jasmine to plant under a window. I've just seen your suggestion Carse goodlifers, after I wrote that - great minds etc  ;D

The front space is quite small, just over a metre on each side of the door, so no room for fruit (although it's a great idea) and the plants themselves will have to be planted around the corner then trained into the positions I want to fill as again there is only path on either side of the door, but plenty of flower bed around the corners.

Blush Noisette does look lovely Rosemary and a scented rose will be lovely next to the door - I'll have an investigation of David Austens site and see what else would suit.  I love packing lots of plants together, to flower at various times and climb through each other.  When I had to take several down from the wall for the builders to repoint, it took ages to disentangle them from each other - then the slab footed guys just trampled all over them, dumped huge stones on them, parked wheelbarrows on them and dropped mortar all over them.  Honey suckle and roses survived that treatment, and a Japonica, but I think they've killed the 3 clematis and my lovely Virginia creeper  :rant:

I also grow sweet peas up through all the climbers - it sometimes works better than others. Solanum looks great amongst them all too, although it struggles a bit here. I will certainly include both of those in the melee  :thumbsup:   Thank you all for your ideas.  I knew you would all have lots to think on   :bouquet: :bouquet:

I'll try to get pics of where the plants have to go, but right now there's a howling, freezing and wet gale blowing, so I'm hiding indoors.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS