Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ideas please for hardy flowering climbers  (Read 5306 times)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Ideas please for hardy flowering climbers
« on: February 15, 2016, 01:22:55 pm »
I live in a cold windy area with frosts which come early in the autumn and late in spring.  I have some areas of stone wall to cover (around the front door mainly) with flowering climbers.  I'm a bit stuck on roses, clematis and honeysuckle so far, plants I know will thrive here.  Things like ceanothus would never survive.  I already have Virginia creeper and a huge ivy elsewhere, and anyway I want flowers.
Can you think of anything else to consider, and do you have good colour combinations and timings to try?
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
Re: Ideas please for hardy flowering climbers
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2016, 01:35:57 pm »
There's a climbing hydrangea, pet- (something)?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2016, 01:56:12 pm »
Forsythia, for late winter/early spring colour?

And yes, Mum always used to have a climbing hydrangea somewhere about the garden, on a north-facing fence usually.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2016, 02:16:43 pm »
There's a climbing hydrangea, pet- (something)?

Hydrangea petiolaris I think. We grew this on a north facing wall in our previous home and it did fine. Really bonny lacy flowers.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2016, 03:02:36 pm »
That's the one and it works well.   Have you considered wisteria?  Ours thrives on our windy hilltop.

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2016, 03:08:07 pm »
Honey Suckle or a climbing rose?

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2016, 03:22:04 pm »
If it is against the stone wall some varieties of ceanothus will survive as the wall will protect them. I have a ceanothus repens growing up in the wilds here so I'm sure you can find one. Look for varieties with smaller leaves as they are hardier.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2016, 04:59:53 pm »
Climbing Hydrangea is a great idea - but for the north facing side of the house as it's too big for round the door.  I really like them, although when I tried to grow one before in sunny Norfolk I killed it dead.  I was only 15 at the time  :eyelashes:
Forsythia is too bushy for the site, but I do have a couple in other places in the garden.
I could try a ceanothus if you think it might survive - there's a little spot around the corner from the front door which is sheltered from the howling easterlies and northerlies, although there are weird swirling air currents in that bit.
So that's 2 other bits sorted, still the front door bit to go.  I forgot to mention it's south facing, but exposed to the easterlies.

There's not room for a wisteria unfortunately.  One of my DiLs grows one, and a ceanothus, on the east coast at Dunbar, in one of the most sheltered gardens in Scotland and she has great success with them - although she accidentally planted a white wisteria instead of a blue, so after several years of waiting, she was seriously disappointed  :(

I expect it will end up being roses and clematis growing through eachother. It's worked well in other parts of the walls, where I also have loads of honeysuckle, which smells gorgeous.
Any hints for clematis and roses combinations which look good together against stonework?
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2016, 05:45:19 pm »
How big a space is it? Could you fan train a fruit tree or even have a cordon trained up the wall. That way you could pick something yummy on your way in  :thumbsup: 
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2016, 06:15:11 pm »
You could also try annuals like nasturtiums, they sometimes leave seeds in the walls and carry on growing year after year, plus the flowers are edible in salads :)
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2016, 07:37:13 pm »
Any hints for clematis and roses combinations which look good together against stonework?

One of the prettiest roses we've ever had was "Blush Noisette"; saw it at Geoff Hamilton's and planted it against the wall at Longcarse. Dan's folks have three along the front of their house. http://www.davidaustinroses.co.uk/blush-noisette

cas

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2016, 07:43:38 pm »
Solanum (potato vine) is a great plant for a wall - it grows like mad and has clusters of purple flowers (like potato flowers really).

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2016, 10:54:20 am »
Does it have to be  a woody climber? How about an attractive trellis and grow sweet peas, eccremacarpus (?), etc. for summer?
Cotoneaster horizontalis would grow high(ish) when trained against a wall?

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2016, 01:16:06 pm »
Where we lived before I planted the climbing rose "Zephrine Drouen" ( said to be the sweetest smelling rose ever-and it's thornless) on one side of the front door and a winter flowering honeysuckle on the other.

Carse Goodlifers

• Joined Oct 2013
  • Perthshire
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2016, 03:10:25 pm »
What about a Jasmine?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS